Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Frequency of filter media changes

Started by Kashif, March 06, 2007, 01:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kashif

Hi,

I was wondering how often you would need to change filter media.  Obviously it depends on how much stock, but
let's say you had a 58 gallon tank with 12-15, 5" African Cichlids, with a single Fluval 404 filter.  I don't know anything about Fluval filters.  What type of media does it take?  Is it only foam inserts or is there also a carbon media option in there as well?

Thanks for your help,
-Kashif.

PaleoFishGirl

I have never changed my Fluval 404 media.  I've had it running for over a year.  I just rinse it out when I clean it (sponges with tap water, biomax with tank water).

Fluvals take all sorts of filter media.  They are explained pretty well in the instruction manual.  I have sponge inserts x 4, a tray of prefilter, a tray of peat (yes, garnpet, still the same stuff LOL ::)) and two trays of biomax.

SuperT

I don't think I've ever changed any filter media either.  Just the odd rinse and a good cleaning of the filter pads and sponges when the occasion arises.

Terry

BigDaddy

The only time I would ever change my media is when it starts disintegrating... with the exception of filter floss... that stuff is so cheap just wait for it to get good and dirty and then replace it.

Nerine

I changed my sponges when they started to turn pink and fall apart.
otherwise just rinse :)

I will toss the biomax as well once they start to crumble as it gets into everything. usually takes a good long while though!

I agree that filter floss is great and cheap :) I bought some higher quality quilt liner instead of filter floss last time and it is EXCELLENT! I rinse it once or twice then toss it
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts