Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Some pics of my tank

Started by hamstercaster, March 08, 2007, 05:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamstercaster

I have finally taken some pics of my tank.  They were done somewhat fast as there was still kids at the daycare and I couldn't quite be left alone long enough to get the best shots lol.  As a refresher, it's a 55g tank, been cycling for 3 weeks with 20 Zebra Danios.  I have added a few things to the tank as it came with all the settings (canopy, sand, heater etc).  I have added to live plants, 2 plastick plants that I have put side by side, one big piece of driftwood (thanks Jee) and some gravel that was added yesterday (thanks Speckledmind).  I have also put some small stones that I bought at Ikea in the plant department (1$ a bag).  I also bought the big resin log at the left and the smaller resin log was donated by the previous tank owner.   The set up is what I wanted it to be minus the big rocks that my wife won't let me put in the tank lol.. it's her tank after all lol even though I seem to be the one talking about fishes and stuff all the time.  So just follow that link to my web site if you want to see what a beginner tank looks like  :D ;D

http://www.cpumods.net/patriotes/Aquarium.htm

Yvon

jodes22

Hey Yvon!!!
That looks awesome! I just bought a new 55g tank (up from a 10g) and I would love it to look a lot like that!
Enjoy!

Mettle

Very nice - but why keep the water level so low?

zima

Very nice tank, congrats! Did you put anything else besides the danios yet?

hamstercaster

Hi Mettle, my wife actually took some water out after one parent of one of the kids at the daycare who's a vet told her we had too much water.... I didn't buy that but my wife still took some water out.. next water change the level will go up.. trust me on that ;-)

Zima, no I don't have anything else yet.  I'm waiting for my tank to cycle before I add anything else... then It will be a matter of knowing what to put in...  I have added driftwood lately so this will buffer my ph some bit so I want to wait another week or two and see what the water parameters are at and then decide which fish route to take.  Africans, SA cichlids, gouramis, tetras etc...  Do I want to keep my Danios or not... many

Thank you for the nice compliment Jodes... I've been driving my wife crazy thinking about what I'd do with the tank and all.  Like I said, it's her tank but it seems that I'm the one that talks about fish the most.  I tell her, we should put that in... She goes no way!!  I'm like, but we need to for such and such reason... then she goes..Oh, never thought about that.. Are you sure though that they really need that.. Yes honey, the guys and girls at Ovas told me lol.... and so on

babblefish1960

Oh cute hamstertosser, using the men and women at OVAS to settle differences over the expansion and growth of your wife's tank. She is going to sit in front of the computer one day soon, have a look around the site and discover what you've really been plotting. There is no way that I can see that will allow you to keep face after all the things you've possibly told her regarding her tank. Oh my, but some folks love to live on the edge for the potential falling thrill. :)

I am unsure why someone would tell you that there was too much water in your tank.

It is good you are being patient with additions to your tank, it will always serve you well. Especially once your dear wife wants your head served up on a platter. ;) You're only hope now is that you encourage her to become involved in the process, good luck with that. ;D

PuddleDuck

Quote from: hamstercaster on March 09, 2007, 07:26:29 AM
Hi Mettle, my wife actually took some water out after one parent of one of the kids at the daycare who's a vet told her we had too much water.... I didn't buy that but my wife still took some water out.. next water change the level will go up.. trust me on that ;-)

I have yet to meet a vet that has any more knowledge on fish that an experienced aquarist...or any that would have a fish as a patient!  ;) Doesnt mean they dont exist though...

hamstercaster

Thanks Babblefish.  I don't think she will come on the OVAS forums.  She does not speak English very well although it could be an excuse for her to try and learn the language a bit more.  The thing is that I pretty much tell her everything I do or say so she will never have any bad surprises and I always have my back covered or at least don't have to suffer through unterminable bursts of fury  ;D  I figure that if I tell her all bit by bit, I am much safer than letting her find out about all the little things I have done lol.  She is getting into it but I don't think that she had an idea what we were getting into when I gave her the tank for her Birthday/Valentine's day.  She always wanted me to buy her a small 10g and she was way happier when I finally let her win and bought her a 55g instead.  Now she'll just have to do more than just feed the fishies lol..  

beowulf

I really like the way you have it set up.  Keep it up!!!

gonna_b_no_1

Nerine

nice looking tank! :) congrats :D

not to threadjack...but there are fish vets out there hehe
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

PuddleDuck

Quote from: gonna_b_no_1 on March 09, 2007, 09:11:11 AM
isn't oneology a vet?  :P

Think so, but shes also a practicing aquarist. My point what that being a vet doesnt equal superior knowledge of fish husbandry over an experienced keeper.