Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Speeding the cycling process... good or bad idea

Started by hamstercaster, March 12, 2007, 02:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamstercaster

As most of you know, I've been cycling my new tank for the past 3 weeks.  What you guys don't know (and my wife doesn't know either lol) is that I'm already thinking about the "next" tank...  I've been warned here by some of yous who told me that I would want more or bigger lol.  My question is simple.  In order to have a new "cycled" tank, would it be appropriate to take the water from my 55g when I do a lets say 20-25% water change and just use it in the new tank in order to have an already cycled tank or would you advise against it?  I think I have read that some people actually do that here.  Keep in mind that the water would hold completly new fishes ie: the fishes would not come from the other tank.  I'm asking now but will not buy right away.. just for my knowledge for when the time comes.. if it ever comes ;-).

beowulf

Using the water does almost nothing, what you need to do to speed things up is use some of the filter media and/or grab some of the substrate and hang it in a bag or nylon in the new tank.  The good bacteria likes to hang on to things and is not really found floating around in the water.

babblefish1960

bitterman

To add to what Beowulf said...

I normally keep 2 AC sponges in my AquaClear filters. When I need a tank instantly (Well almost) I tank some water from the tank, and 1 of the AC sponges out of the filter and put int he new filter. Be sure to watch both tanks, has you can have a mini cycle occur in your tank when removing media.

This gives an almost perfectly cycled tank. Another option is to purchase the new filter about 1 month prior to setting up another tank and run it for about i month on an already cycled tank (This too can cause a small min cycle).

If you don't have a pair sponge you can clean the dirty already cycled filter sponge in the new tank with dechlorinated, proper temp water, and the new filter running. Some of the nutrifying bacteria is washed out of the filter media in the process and will get stuck int he new filter media and state the colonization quicker. This does not work as well as using cycled filter media. (I did this wiht my 195 when I set it up. Cleaned a Aquaclear 150 filter in my overflow to kick start my trickler filter) The tank was cycled in less then a week and everything stayed good ever since.
Hope this helps,
    Bruce

KLKelly

Fishless cycle.... no fish suffer this way.  I did this and it took a month but was worth it.  Heres the article I went by when I fishless cycled my 20 gallon planted tank:  http://thegab.org/Articles/FishlessCycling.html  I got pure ammonia at home hardware.  There is a ton of info on the web if you look it up.

Your tank just cycled so you would most likely crash this cycle if you took any of this media right now.  Wait until your tank is up and running at least a couple months.  Or get some from a member here. 

I think you need to read up on cycling and water quality.  The biobugs (most of them) live on the surfaces and especially in the filter media of the tank - not in the water.  You can learn things like - never throw out your filter sponges or rinse them in tank water or you risk a blip.  Always rinse filter media in your discarded tap water. 

Its exciting setting up new tanks.  Its tough waiting.

Good luck.

Karrie

gonna_b_no_1

I really really wish we could get biospira here.  My friends in  states say it's great for zipping through a cycle.  :-\

beowulf

Quote from: KLKelly on March 12, 2007, 02:39:04 PM
Fishless cycle.... no fish suffer this way.  I did this and it took a month but was worth it.  Heres the article I went by when I fishless cycled my 20 gallon planted tank:  http://thegab.org/Articles/FishlessCycling.html  I got pure ammonia at home hardware.  There is a ton of info on the web if you look it up.

Your tank just cycled so you would most likely crash this cycle if you took any of this media right now.  Wait until your tank is up and running at least a couple months.  Or get some from a member here. 

I think you need to read up on cycling and water quality.  The biobugs (most of them) live on the surfaces and especially in the filter media of the tank - not in the water.  You can learn things like - never throw out your filter sponges or rinse them in tap water or you risk a blip.  Always rinse filter media in your discarded tap water

Its exciting setting up new tanks.  Its tough waiting.

Good luck.

Karrie

I think you might mean tank water.  Filter media should always be cleaned in tank water during a water change.

kennyman

I am a big fan of pollyfiber as a water polishing media. During regular monthly cleaning I usually throw 50% of the polly fiber into the garbage can and replace it with fresh. But when setting up a new tank, I can put that used filter media directly into the filter of the new aquarium and have an instantly cycled and fully functional biofilter.

I have also become very interested in the use of plants to eliminate the traditional cycle time all together. With the right balance of plant growth, PH and fish stocking level the plants can consume the majority of N before it is converted by bacteria and there is no real "cycle" to worry about. I have seen this referred to as "silent cycling" on the net.

bitterman

Quote from: gonna_b_no_1 on March 12, 2007, 02:46:10 PM
I really really wish we could get biospira here.  My friends in  states say it's great for zipping through a cycle.  :-\

I have not ever cycled a tank since I got my first one cycled.  It took about 9 weeks I think.... Been so long I can't remeber LOL :)  I always use the stealing media method when ever possible.

A Fishless cycle is very good for the first time, It is norally also a shorter cycle then using fish (unless nitrites get to high and stall they cycle). I agree with Wulf ALWAYS rince filters in discarded tank water during your water changes.

Bruce

KLKelly

Ooops - thats exactly what I meant - discarded tank water and not TAP water.  Thanks for catching that  :o  I changed my post.

hamstercaster

Thanks a bunch to all of you.  I have taken notes ;-)

babblefish1960

Taking notes is only good if you read them, make sure you don't feed the notes to the hamster, it won't do him any good no matter how far you toss him. ;)

Actually, you have some good advice here, the largest thing, that we all seem to lack in the beginning, is patience, you can never have too much of that.

PrincessFish

Hey Kennyman, thanks for that info on the 'silent cycle' I think that must have been what happened to me.  I've been wondering what all the fuss has been about and why my cycle was so easy - just 13 days!  Ammonia never went over .6 and nitrites were topped out at .3 for 5 days - that was it.  But . . . I had plants (6 I think) in before fish (not a conscious decision - just because I didn't know what I was doing and wanted to set up the tank).    Anyway, thanks for your comments, they have helped me to make sense out of my own experience.

pF