Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Back from the Hamilton auction...

Started by oenology, March 12, 2007, 10:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oenology

I was down in TO this weekend and took in the Hamilton auction while I was there. LOTS of fish! Quite a few plants (madagascar lace - 3 plants, each sold for just under $30) and new heaters, filters and food. Fishwise there were lots of line bred guppies, black swords seemed very popular, lyre tail swords, endlers, couple different killi fish, a rope fish, various cories and synodontis, royal whiptail cats in pairs (really nice looking red ones!), hoplo cats juvies and pairs, some apistos, many types of plecos (royal tigars, rubber, butterfly, BN, albinos and brown, short and long fin. I bought a long fin lace BN - very cool, plus some gold spot ones. Both types ended up in other peoples tanks...), many types of angels, and of course cichlids. I came home with the following:Fossorochromis rostratus (6 fry), Lepidiolamprologus attenuatus 'gold' (8 fry), Copadichromis boreyi 'Kadango' (1 juvie pair and 2 fry), Pundamilia nyererei (4 fry), occulatus golds (4 fry) and 6 Tanganicodus irsacea 'Moba' (these last ones are from Darius of aquariumshop and not from the auction).

The Hamilton auction doesn't allow any used equipement in the actual auction. The used stuff is sold seperately at the side of the room with price tags.

It was a well run auction until checkout time. WHAT A MESS!!! It took over an hour and a half of standing in line to pay for my purchases and I wasn't even near the end, I had my poor mother get in line before the actual end of the auction. It was totally insane. They didn't start entering the auction chits into the computer until towards the end of the auction and it wasn't pay as you go, so not only were sellers trying to get paid, buyers were trying to pay, all in one huge line at the end of 8 hours of auction. Left a bad impression to what had been a good auction.

babblefish1960

That is a good bit of news there oenology, especially about the auction and its good points and well, its not so good points.

You make me laugh girl, especially with the downsizing aspect of the fish room flying in the face of your most recent acquisitions, I'm sure the DH thinks you're nuts, but then, I suppose in a way you are a fish nut. ;)

I'm very surprised you didn't bring back a huge aquarium, I was so sure buying these sorts of things was a part of the hobby for you, and a few others that shall remain nameless for now. ;D

Did you take any pictures?

artw

Fossorochromis rostatus.. cool.. hope you have a big tank ;)
Did you visit the Big Als while you were there? (down on the lower part, off Highway 20 in Stony Creek)  the manager there is a friend of mine, we went to Malawi together (Larry Johnston)

oenology

I didn't have time to get to the BigAls but Steve and Gman did and said it was amazing. This is a fish I missed during the auction because I didn't know what it was:

Tramitichromis intermedius     

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Intermedia.htm

I really am down sizing but my Malawi tank is upsizing ;D and I'm changing some fish around to have the space to bring in other species...

bitterman

Wow sounds like it was an awesome time. The fish you missed is a pretty fellow ;) Next time you will be prepared to snag them I'm sure :)

How is cutting down tanks doing ;) Looks like you need a bunch more setup for the new fish LOL MTS is an evil thing LMAO!!!

Bruce

Sue

How was their auction for sellers? Our auction was a buyer's market this year, and I'm curious if thats just here.

oenology

Quote from: Sue on March 13, 2007, 12:49:07 PM
How was their auction for sellers? Our auction was a buyer's market this year, and I'm curious if thats just here.
Most things went for decent money - towards the end the zebra and lab juvies were getting sold off for just a couple bucks but that was the exception rather than the rule. Plants were selling for an average of $5 to 7, although I picked up some anubias nana and brazilian sword for $3 ea. For the fossorchromis (4 fry to a bag) I paid $17 and $10. For the leipidolamproglogus I paid $12 each I think. The 2 gold-spot BN fry were $10 (I didn't realize how small they were when I bid), the longfin lace was also $10 but much better size. A lot of the swordtails were going for $10 to $15 a bag. Same with the designer guppies. The more exotic plecos were selling in the $20 to $30 range. People were definately spending more and I think it was primarily due to no used equipment so the risk factor was significantly reduced and a wider variety of fish was offered.