Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

When you move !

Started by catfishsteve, March 14, 2007, 12:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catfishsteve

I may be moving this summer and I am hesitant to set up my second tank (75g)
I have a 90g acrylic set up now. I was thinking I'll just wait till moving day,
setup the 75 at the new place, and then just bring the fish over in bags.
im not sure i can wait that long. Cant....hold....on ...much....longer.

If I have both tanks setup with fish that don't mix I'm wondering how to move them
How do you guys move tanks?  ???

zapisto

when are you getting you new place ? and when you have to leave your old place
moving is always a pain , so i would recommend if you can wait for your 75 , wait.

i would also recommend move as much as water you can
when i move 5 years ago i have to move a fish room so i know what that mean

beowulf

It's a pain and like zap said try and get as many containers you can and move as much of the water you can.  I did it once from Montreal to Ottawa and in a month will be doing it again when my new house is done.

catfishsteve

I don't know how long I will have to move yet.
but why bring water?

beowulf

The tank water....they are use to that water and it makes it easier to gte them use to the new water in case their is a huge difference in the water paramaters from your old and new places.

PuddleDuck

I moved about 6 hours away last spring, and was fortunate enough to initially leave my fish behind for a month (they were well taken care of). I transferred some fish into a smaller tank being left behind and also bought a new tank that got set up at the new place, bringing along a well used filter with media to every everything going. When I brough up the fish a month later everything was in place. Maybe if you get access to your new place even a few days early, you can bring over the filter junk and water from your old tank and get the new one going.

I did transport all of my fish - I bought a power thinger (Im very technical) so I could plug in an airator. I transferred about 20 community fish and over a dozen discus, plus 4 hujeta jars. I lost 1 angel fish a week later due to gill flukes caugh too late, but other than that everybody was well.

zapisto

Quote from: catfishsteve on March 14, 2007, 01:26:59 PM
I don't know how long I will have to move yet.
but why bring water?
why ....
it is already cycled ..... big diff.
the trick is remove water like you are doing a 40/50% water change and move the rest.

what kind of fish ?
bucket is your friend

Nerine

bring water!!
buckets are your BEST friend :) Rubbermaid, zellers brand it doesn't matter (I like Rubbermaid though) I had my 75 and 55 set up before I moved and just emptied all the water I could and put it in buckets, we used a mini van to move the tanks due to uhaul loosing our reservations grr we moved entire house and tanks in 1 mini van, and 3 sports cars...not fun :P

set up was fairly easy, but moving is very tiring, I liked the rubbermaid buckets because the filters could sit on the sides, heater/airstones could be popped in and the fish stayed like that for a few days until things are settled.

good luck with moving :) and do wait to set up the larger tank till after you move ;)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

dpatte

I can lend about 10 4 gallon pairs with (not-watertight) lids for a short period.

catfishsteve

Thanks everyone.
my only remaing concern is actually moving my current tank it's acrylic 60 x 18 x 19
I'm thinking plywood 2 by 4 stretcher. or should acrylic be moved totally empty?

Nerine

if you leave water in the tank, you're just ASKING for trouble
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Adam

1) Put the fish in some container that they will be able to be in for a few hours, or however long you need them to be there...

2) Start emptying the tank, keeping water to put in the new tank in the new place.  Take the rocks, sand, etc out.  Get it so that it is only the aquarium and nothing in it...

3) Don't clean out the filters...move them with tank water in them if you can...

4) Level, set up your aquarium in your new place, put the rocks etc back in, put on the filters and heaters, and fill it with as much old water as you can.  Then pour in some new water when you run out...This will keep the water pretty constant from what the fish are used to, not to mention the water is already cycled.

5) Let the aquarium run for a bit to help the filters start seeding the rest of the now set up aquarium.

6) Put your fish back in slowly. 

This is how I did a few moves anyways.  It should be ok, but if you can wait, set up the 75 after you move.  It's a pain to try to set up two large aquariums at a time, especially when you are rushing because your fish are in buckets...

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

catfishsteve