Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

help me pls identify a tetra

Started by gonna_b_no_1, March 14, 2007, 07:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonna_b_no_1

no, no picture...srry

Orange with 3 black lines that run up and down body.

gonna_b_no_1

No.  It's not a tiger barb.

It is a tetra, similar looking to a tiger barb but has orange dorsal fin and only 3 stripes that run  up and down the body.

Sometimes, it pays to write down the names when you buy fish in a rush!  lol

mseguin

I really can't think of anything that matches that description.

KLKelly

I'm curious now - I just spent an hour looking based on your description :)  Once I found a picture matching the description it wasn't even close.  Let us know ;)

gonna_b_no_1

I'm going to call the darned store tomorrow.  Been trying to id this fish for 2 darned days and now i've  stumped the "walking fishy encyclopedia" too

*errrr@stores who mislabel fishies*

garnpet

1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

mseguin

My theory is still the 5 lined barb

Sue

Almost all Characins (tetras) have an extra fin, the adipose fin on the top of their body near the tail. Does your fish have that second fin? The Barbs (or at least the common ones I can think of) have only one dorsal fin.

zapisto

Quote from: Sue on March 14, 2007, 11:32:30 PM
Almost all Characins (tetras) have an extra fin, the adipose fin on the top of their body near the tail. Does your fish have that second fin? The Barbs (or at least the common ones I can think of) have only one dorsal fin.
good comment.
i cannot see any tetra who match the desc ... so i am also going to bard direction...

babblefish1960

Well, that is a majority who believe this is a barb, myself included, a picture would certainly help, have you any other description you could apprise us with such as body shape, caudal fin shape and colour, even the mouth shape and relative location is helpful information too.

Now we're all curious, so fess up when you find out. :)

Laura

700 gal pond - Rosy reds

cory

cory

RoxyDog

Quote from: gonna_b_no_1 on March 14, 2007, 10:21:09 PM
now i've  stumped the "walking fishy encyclopedia" too

who's that? 

and I have no idea what that fish might be.   ???
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

gonna_b_no_1

I called Walmart and asked them to id the fish for me.  First they told me that they didn't have any fish of that kind in the store.  (@$%@$%@)

Then I made them send someone to literally go run down to the tanks and look.  (do you remember what tank you got them out of?...sure do..i had to bag em too!)

Label says:  Striped Tiger Tetra. 

So i hop online in hopes to find a picture....NOPE! Not even close!!

Tiger Tetra(Hoplias malabaricus) is not the fish I bought...but they do kinda sound kool!  lol

So my best guess is that it is indeed a tiger barb...but..there's still the question of the orange dorsal fin.  These guys are really REALLY young.(not bigger than an inch)

Could the black coloration on the dorsal fin be missing in a juvinile tiger barb and then the color grow in as they mature?

nicoblue

The body colour may not be relevant...it may have been a dyed tetra also. Blackskirts and goldskirts are still sold dyed fairly often.

Laura

Go to google images and put in tiger barb - some have more orange in their dorsal than in the link provided above.  Also check out http://www.greenparktropical.com/Fish/barb.htm for some other variations of tiger barbs.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds