Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

River rocks?

Started by busdriver, March 19, 2007, 01:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sniggir

...if you are planning on discus than you want soft wayer not hard,,, sor the river stones or rock work are not your besy aproch....I would get some nice drift wood and get sone crazy plants mt self.... butI do not no to much about SA cichlids
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

PoisonJello

bake or boil is to kill any bacteria that might harm your fish (i thought that was obvious but maybe not to everyone)

I am wondering why some keep saying gravel when the title says River rocks, they are 2 differnet things but I have both in my tanks..for gravel in my tanks its was just pea size river rock until i mixed in some fine natural gravel cichlids like the small stuff better (I washed all the pea size river rock and baked it before use)
pea size river rock can be bought at local landscaping store 60 pound bag $6, larger river rock 4" and bigger I also use (scrubbed and baked) I believe can also be bought at local landscaping store but not where i got mine from

kennyman

To this day my father still breaks down his tank every 6 months, boils the gravel, scrubs the inside of the tank and disinfects the filtration system. That also serves as his waterchange. He has been doing that for over forty years and no way he is going to change. I don't even bring the subject up. "Ya Gotta watch out for those bacteria they will kill your fish" he says  ;)

On the other other side you have 5oo page academic texts like Dr. Adey/Loveland "Dynamic Aquaria" telling you the best way to create a balanced aquarium is to incorporate as much of the micro and macro organisms possible that are occurring in a given natural environment.

I think they are both a bit crazy but I try a walk a line down the middle somewhere. There has to be more to beneficial bacteria than just Nitrosomonas and Nitrospira  :D

PoisonJello

one could say rocks are in water with fish so it shouldn't hurt an aquarium, you shouldn't even have to clean them...that sounds logical...then again with all the crap that gets dumped into the rivers in this world?...Nah...just a little spit and polish and those rocks will look good as new, the fish will love them  ;)