Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Betta channoides spawn

Started by Woody, March 19, 2007, 10:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody

I lucked in tonight with a photograph, don't ask me how just dumb luck, but I managed to capture a photograph of one of my male Betta channoides that is holding. You can see the eggs within his mouth. Now the fun begins, the adult fish are not suppose to bother the fry, so we will see.
I stuffed the tank with more java moss tonight for the fry to hide out and have more small food to eat.

I will keep you posted.

Woody

[attachment deleted by admin]

PaleoFishGirl

WOW  :o

Congrats, Woody, that's so exciting :)
Can't wait to see what happens next!

babblefish1960

Good luck with your successes with that cute little fish, it is great to see you are still attempting the obscure with the unknown. Looking forward to more pictures and news Woody. :)

zapisto

great woody
i know you was capable  ;)
talk to you soon.

oenology

very neat! Any idea on how long he will hold for?

beowulf

Wow that is cool.  Much different then the betta's we are use to with their bubble nest etc.

RedFish

That's very cool - I had to go google betta channoides so I could see what they look like.   Can't wait to follow the progress of egg to babies!

beowulf

Quote from: RedFish on March 20, 2007, 09:05:00 AM
That's very cool - I had to go google betta channoides so I could see what they look like.   Can't wait to follow the progress of egg to babies!

I remember Big Al's having some and they were being sold as "peaceful" Betta's though one of the sales guys was saying that they might be a little less likely to find then regular Betta's, they still did fight on occasion.

Woody

Quote from: oenology on March 20, 2007, 07:58:24 AM
very neat! Any idea on how long he will hold for?

From what I have read the male holds for 7 to 10 days.
I do believe I have two males holding, but one is so skiddish, he takes off when I approach the tank, otherwise he hides under a plant watching me on the computer, and his mouth is bulging like the one in the photograph.

It's wait and see as of right now.

Woody

Sarah Bella

Congrats, thats very exciting, and one of the prettiest bettas in my opinion, next to macrostoma  of course.

QuoteI remember Big Al's having some and they were being sold as "peaceful" Betta's though one of the sales guys was saying that they might be a little less likely to find then regular Betta's, they still did fight on occasion.

I have seen BA sell Imbellis as peaceful bettas (not so peaceful) and primas (a true community fish, very pretty, very peaceful, never fight) , but i have never seen them carry the channoides.  I will have to keep my eyes open for them next time.

so many bettas are being threatened in their natural habitat so its nice to see the "wild" species being bred in captivity :)

I hope you post lots of pics as they mature.  :) 

beowulf

Quote from: Sarah Bella on March 21, 2007, 09:21:10 AM
Congrats, thats very exciting, and one of the prettiest bettas in my opinion, next to macrostoma  of course.

I have seen BA sell Imbellis as peaceful bettas (not so peaceful) and primas (a true community fish, very pretty, very peaceful, never fight) , but i have never seen them carry the channoides.  I will have to keep my eyes open for them next time.

so many bettas are being threatened in their natural habitat so its nice to see the "wild" species being bred in captivity :)

I hope you post lots of pics as they mature.  :) 

Not sure Sarah, they looked somehwat similar to the one in the picture with much shorter fins then the bettas we are use to.

I did not realize that so many varients existed must do more research now  ;D

Sarah Bella

Quote from: beowulf on March 21, 2007, 10:48:16 AM
Not sure Sarah, they looked somehwat similar to the one in the picture with much shorter fins then the bettas we are use to.

I did not realize that so many varients existed must do more research now  ;D

there are so many different varieties, you might be surprised.  check out this link for a list  :)

http://www.ibc-smp.org/species/index.html

Woody

Here's an update on the betta channoides, the young are now just over an inch, slow growers, 5 1/2 months later, but starting to be able to sex them. Shy though, very shy.

Woody

[attachment deleted by admin]