Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Quarantine / Fry tank

Started by fender316, March 21, 2007, 02:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fender316

Was wondering peoples thoughts on setting up a seperate bare tank, for fry or quarantine for example.  Would it not be best to use at least 50% old water (i was thinking more like 75%), add that with a slightly used sponge from the old tank?  i read somewhere to use all new water but would that not lead to unwanted cycles and a need to adjust the fish to the new water, PH could be off and everything....?  I'd rather keep the fish in the water it is used to, especially if dealing with a pregnant one.

zapisto

quarantine and fry tank is absolutly not the same.
here is my experience :

Quarantine tank (all tool dedicated to this tank):
- No decor
- 1 heater
- 1 net
- filtatrion
- 1 thermometer

my quarantine tank run all the time with water so have the same water like any other tank i have.
Fully cycled.
Quarantine is  40 days minimum not less

Hospital tank  (all toold dedicated to this tank)
- No decor
- 1 Net
- 1 Heater
- Filtration
- 1 thermometer

My Hospital tank run all the time
After each use the tank and all the tools are well desinfected with Clore or Bleach

I also have have always one or two filter who sit on some tank beside other filtration i can remove at anytime to start a other tank for fry od anything.

fishycanuck

All of the above, plus - old water from another tank does not have enough of the good bacteria to cycle the tank.  The used sponge is a much better idea, but old gravel or a decoration does the same thing.

Nerine

I use same water from the tank with some new plus same filter media so that there isn't a huge change...and I just set up a bucket on the floor (where i have fry right now!) and they are happy :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

BigDaddy

The only time you'd use old water is to fill a fry tank with water from the tank you have pulled 'em from to keep stress to a minimum.

zapisto

Quote from: BigDaddy on March 22, 2007, 03:32:24 PM
The only time you'd use old water is to fill a fry tank with water from the tank you have pulled 'em from to keep stress to a minimum.
Agree