Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

In praise of freshwater nerite snails

Started by succinctfish, March 22, 2007, 05:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

succinctfish

I got a bunch of nerite snails from zapisto at aquanourriplus (thanks Zap!), courtesy also of Beowulf as he brought them back to Ottawa.  What can I say, but I love these little algae munching cuties.  I have an anubias in my tank that was beginning to get rather covered in algae, the bumblebee nerites climbed on board and are systematically cleaning each leaf.  Hooray!  They are getting a bit of help from the otocinclis as well.  Nothing like a good clean up crew in the tank. The plants I put in the tank seem to have brought in all kinds of algae, which is not so good for me, but tasty for the snails.  Here are a couple of photos of one of the nerites, the bumblebee ones were camera shy today, all you get is a bottom view of one of those. The fish on the right are my corydoras robinea, so cute.

[attachment deleted by admin]

zapisto

babblefish1960

They really are great fun to watch, okay they don't move around very quickly, but they are still very nice looking, and busy at work, munching away on all manner of algae and such.

RoxyDog

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

succinctfish

Quote from: beowulf on March 25, 2007, 10:26:26 AM
Snails are snacks for my fish  ;D

:P :P
it's a good thing you didn't take your fish on an outing to Montreal then isn't it?
I'm sure they would have gotten peckish on the way back.   :'(

Snails are not snacks(except for pond snails, death to pond snails!)
Snails are our friends  :)
I love my snails. Yes, I have become a bona fide snail weirdo.   :D

beowulf

Don't get my wrong I find some of the snails pretty cool looking but in the end my two largest tanks at the moment (65 and 30g) both have loaches in them.  Clowns in the 65 and khulis and kubotai in the other so snails are.....kind of out of the question.

babblefish1960

Well, well, wulfie, a closet snail weirdo, you'll just have to have a tank some day without those silly loaches and invest in your inner snail weirdo.

RoxyDog

I have kubotai loaches and nerite snails together.  No problems yet...

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

beowulf

Quote from: RoxyDog on March 25, 2007, 04:11:15 PM
I have kubotai loaches and nerite snails together.  No problems yet...

There not the best for eating snails but they will if they can.

Laura

I keep khulis and another pangio sp. with applesnails.  Although I've heard stories about khulis eating snails, mine have never looked twice at them.  My weather loach also displayed no interest, but again, I've heard reports they're not snail-safe. 
I'm surprised Roxy's kubotais haven't had a snail snack though, I tend to think all of the botia shaped loaches as not really snail safe.  Maybe nerites aren't tasty?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

babblefish1960

I would suggest that roxydog is getting away with it momentarily as her nerites are currently larger than her kubotai loach, hard to say what will happen in time. ;)

saseniukk

Hi there gang.  I've started a little snail tank for my daughters. Are there any local shops (from Belleville to Ottawa) that have decent and interesting snails?  P.s.  I find that as long as loaches are well fed they leave the snails alone, once they get hungry though....

succinctfish

Welcome to OVAS, saseniukk!  I got my wonderful nerite snails from www.aquanourriplus.com, one of the sponsors here.  Zap ships, so wherever you are, you could order snails and get them sent to you.  Check out his website to see some pics.  Superpet in Kanata had some interesting snails as well, you could check with them. 

RoxyDog

we'll see...nerites tend to stay in their shells a lot, nothing poking out to be munched on.  at least that's what they do in an african tank.  :)  I'll keep my eyes peeled, but my kubotais are well fed.

babblefish1960

Poor little nerites having to live with evil Africans, if they keep them from getting a good foot out, they don't get to eat, and every good snail weirdo knows that a fine snail such as your nerite is worth waaay more than a colony of crazy africans any day. ;) And loaches, well, they're just a food fish frenetically searching for snails so that they taste good themselves on the dinner plate. ;D

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on March 26, 2007, 02:25:33 PM
And loaches, well, they're just a food fish frenetically searching for snails so that they taste good themselves on the dinner plate. ;D

>:( :'(

RoxyDog

Art had a clown loach who never touched his snails.  Guess you never know?

And my nerites are just fine.  You can see their little mouths just a munching away on the glass.  :P

PaleoFishGirl

Art's snails all somehow died anyway though... :P

3 cheers for snail weirdos :)

beowulf

I'll stick to getting some marine snails for my nano!!!