Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

plexi tank found in garbage!!!!! 111g!!!!!!!

Started by sweetness85, March 25, 2007, 05:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweetness85

ok i was driving out to get some mice today with the whole family.  my husband said wow i think i just saw a tank back there in the garbage.  i said well we'll check it out on the way back, it's likely broken.  he said no it's not broken and it's HUGE!  so we turned around and went to see if he was right.  low and behold there it was sitting on the side of the road, a huge plexi tank!  it was very dirty but we took it home anyways to see what could be done with it.  we washed the hell out of it and it's got a few scratches but it's real big.  so we took it in the house(with great difficulty) and decided to measure it.  it's 111g!!!  the thing is huge!!!  and it was in the garbage!!!  some people are freakin crazy!!!  so i am a proud new owner of my first tank over 100g.  what to do with it i have no idea.  husband dearest wants to use it for the corn snake buuuuut i think i may find some other type of use for it.  the snake will get lost in this thing!   free fish anybody?  wow.  i suppose once the shock wears off i'll be posting for something, or a ton of things.  i'm just so excited right now i had to share my great luck with everyone.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

beowulf

Plexi glass ehh?  Sounds interesting you have any pics yet?  I have never heard of a plexi glass tank before, how thick is it?

sweetness85

it's half an inch thick.  there was a sticker on it that said petsmart and another one that said something about small rodents so i am guessing someone bought something like a small rodent...lol...and got the tank with it.  the thing is huge!  i did try to take a picture of it but you can't see it very good.  you can pretty much just see right through it so i will have to take a better one i guess.  maybe if i put something dark behind it that might help......

sniggir

plexiglass is the genaric name used for acrilic....like the big tank in Al's... the scratches you speek of can be buffed out.. have fun with your new find...I wish I had such luck lol
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

beowulf

Quote from: sniggir on March 25, 2007, 05:52:35 PM
plexiglass is the genaric name used for acrilic....like the big tank in Al's... the scratches you speek of can be buffed out.. have fun with your new find...I wish I had such luck lol

I thought it might be acrilic makes sense now.  Have fun with it for sure!!

yellowtang

Maybe I should drive pass that house,
who knows I might be as lucky as you :P
what was the adress????.LOL LOL LOL.
post some pictures in the future...
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

sweetness85

it was on kent just north of the 417.  there's not much there unless you want a frame for a fold away cot...lol.   i'll try and get a pic tonight or sometime soon.  still have no idea what i'm going to do with it :P

washefuzzy

That is so exciting and I thought it was exciting when I found my 20 gal in the garbage room of my building! :P

PoisonJello

people will through anything out if they don't want it, no matter how good it might be to someone else, there loss is your gain, enjoy your new find

FishPassion

Afriend of mine who drives for a disposal company in Ottawa found a 55 complete with filters lighting the works. He dragged it behind some bushes and called me,I was there in one hour...................................someone stole it. :(
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

speckledmind

Wow,

Great find sweet.

As said, you can buff it out if there are any scratches, then test it for leaks and enjoy  :)

beowulf

Quote from: speckledmind on March 26, 2007, 07:43:48 AM
then test it for leaks and enjoy  :)

I was going to add that also with a tank that size I would either in the garage or outside completly fill it up before hand to make sure t here is no hole.   :)

bitterman

Also remember acryillic tanks require suppore for the whole bottom (They can't just be supported around the edge like a glass tank) As a result they may require a custom stand.

What are the dimensions?

Now comes the big $ items, heaters, filtration and lighting LOL

Bruce

Nerine

WOW!!! CONGRATS :D

It is so awesome to have a great garbage find hahahaha
I was out walking the dog and found a PERFECT fish tank stand for the 75...I went home to get the car and by the time I got back (15 minutes!) someone else was loading it into their truck hahaha

Can't wait to see pics :D Good luck!!!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

homestar726

That is incredible!!! I wish i was as lucky as you... Maybe Ill find a 200 gal somewhere, or an aquarium plane will burst in the air and give tanks to all the good boys and girls :D

That is absolutely awesome. Id buy a lotto ticket ;)

sweetness85

ok so here are the dimensions in inches:47.5widex23highx23.5deep!!!!  equals 111g!

how do i buff out the scratches?  i am happy enough with the scratches being there but if i can buff them out then i'd be alot happier with it, not sure if i can get happier but i can try...lol.

well for the next few days it is a home for some mice just untill i get some wire to either make or fix them a home lol.  i know such a waste of a tank to have 7 small mice in it but it's very temporary.  as soon as i fix their cage or make them a new one i will be filling the big bugger(still don't have a name btw...lol)  i have a drain in the basement so i'll fill it there.  if i put it outside it will be gone in 10 mins around here.  i am terrified that it will burst on me but i guess that's a chance i will have to take.  so i'll fill it and will have to make reports back every day to let everyone know what's happening.  i found a ton of nice wood with holes in it in the woods so i'm off to boil it and get it ready for the big tank.  anyone want some beautiful, cheap driftwood or whatever wood...lol, just let me know!  there's a ton of it out there!!!!

gonzobluefuzz

At work we use a product called MEGUIARS mirror glaze 10 to get scratches out of aircraft windows (works great on tanks too  ;D ).  Works very well, soft clean cloth and a liberal application of elbow grease is all you need.
http://www.eglider.org/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=180

Not sure where you would get it in town tho, a quick call to canus plastics might help get you going.

Here are the Canadian dealers from the manufacturers website
http://www.meguiarscanada.com/index.php?_room=16&_subRoom=0

HTH

Cheerz

G

BigDaddy

You can get Meguiars products at Canadian Tire.  I used to use them on my computer modification projects.  Makes a case paint job look fantastic.

homestar726

Will this be too toxic for fish? like does it leave any trace chemicals?

sweetness85

Quote from: homestar726 on March 26, 2007, 06:59:44 PM
Will this be too toxic for fish? like does it leave any trace chemicals?

good question.  is it ok to put on the inside of the tank?  i guess once it's filled with water the scratches will be hard to see on the inside, mostly all the scratches are on the outside but there are a few on the inside