Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Moon lighting

Started by audioslave_36, March 26, 2007, 01:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioslave_36

I have read a lot about moonlights, but it seems to be linked to salt water tanks  :(, are these beneficial to fresh water tanks as well ?

Dave

kennyman

I have moonlights on my marine tank but it is more for my own enjoyment than any real benefit. It is like having a night-lite in the livingroom and also allows you to enjoy a tank when the main lighting is off  8)

bitterman

I have moon lights on my tank as it helps reduce flashing and injery when the lights come on. It's also look kewl! and if people are over after the lights go off you don't have to turn the lights on so they can see your fish.

Bruce

patria

i have them on 3 of my tanks, i think they work great. on one of my tanks with my Pseudotropheus demasoni colony i found 4 of my females were holding and that happend the second night i had them on, was it the moonlights or something else, i think the moonlights. and they are also cool when the lights go out.

Dave

homestar726

To my knowledge, it serves no bad and looks really cool. I first thought that it kept the fish up and made them cranky... but than i just remembered they are agressive cichlids and are always like that.

My Personal Golden Rule of Thumb: If its not bad, and looks cool, it must be good!

audioslave_36

So what are you guys and gals using as moonlights ? led of coldcathode ?

patria

hey, i bought the led ones from sp, for my 77 and 67 tanks i use 2 leds and they work fine. they cost 15 for the 3 wat spliter and 10 for the light......i think

Dave

bitterman

Quote from: audioslave_36 on March 26, 2007, 10:46:56 PM
So what are you guys and gals using as moonlights ? led of coldcathode ?

I did a DIY using LEDs from my 195. This is what is looks like. http://ovas.ca/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=271

Bruce

babblefish1960

I have been using actinics for some time now, but as I continue with the various projects, fish keeping always has projects, I will be switching all of the actinics over to cold cathodes. I have everything I need except time, that will come though.

patria

hi, where can you buy cold cathodes.

Dave (ProPatria)

babblefish1960

I got a bunch of cold cathode kits from the Coolerguys in Seattle Washington, really low cost, and great lights. They are a computer aftermarket supplier with good prices.

I'm pretty sure you can get them in any computer or electronic shop, any aftermarket speed store for cars, as well as princess auto.

BigDaddy

Quote from: babblefish1960 on March 28, 2007, 01:59:42 PM
I got a bunch of cold cathode kits from the Coolerguys in Seattle Washington, really low cost, and great lights. They are a computer aftermarket supplier with good prices.

I'm pretty sure you can get them in any computer or electronic shop, any aftermarket speed store for cars, as well as princess auto.

You're welcome for that reference  ;D

babblefish1960

Thank you but of course, it was definitely a reference in the right direction from a super geek with all the latest neat stuff on his modified computer towers, right, the super geek whiz bang still has connections in the underworld of crazzzy modded boxes. ;)

BigDaddy

Ahem.. that's ALPHA UBER geek  :D

audioslave_36

LOL,  every do any water cooling in your computer ?

Dave

BigDaddy

Yup.. but now we are thread jacking....

audioslave_36

thats ok it was my thread anyway :)

audioslave_36

Quote from: babblefish1960 on March 28, 2007, 01:59:42 PM

What are you going to use to power these ? As I also have a bunch of these lying around.

Dave

babblefish1960

Just small transformers, similar to the ones used for powering a telephone.