Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lights off all Day

Started by neon, March 27, 2007, 01:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon

I'm just full of questions today.  Seeing as I'm getting algae again, I'm wondering if it would hurt the fish if I left my lights off all day while I wasn't home and just put them on for about 4 hours at night?  They don't get any direct natural sunlight coming in during the day, but its not completely dark either.

beowulf

Less of a problem for the fish then any plants you might have.

BigDaddy

Also depends on what kind of lights you have and what kind of algae you are getting.

neon

I have 96 watts over a 33 gallon, and yes, I know thats pretty high light.  The algae I'm getting is some hair and the really dark stuff that grows on the plants. 

aroc

I had my lights off 3 months straight my fish all lived, and seemed none the worse for ware either.

Quote from: neon on March 27, 2007, 01:44:32 PM
I'm just full of questions today.  Seeing as I'm getting algae again, I'm wondering if it would hurt the fish if I left my lights off all day while I wasn't home and just put them on for about 4 hours at night?  They don't get any direct natural sunlight coming in during the day, but its not completely dark either.