Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Heater Explosion

Started by homestar726, March 27, 2007, 09:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homestar726

Holy cow, my heater blew up in my tank... Its a 30g, and was a 100w heater. I put a 50w heater in for now, is this ok?

ANyone.
Help... Even if its temporary?

I dont want the cichlid to suffer

KLKelly

I don't know cichlids so I can't help you there.  I've had one heater blow up, one crack and one went bonkers and decided one day to heat the tank to 86F and killed a bunch of fish.  I'll only go with top of the line heaters from now on.

BigDaddy

As long as the temperature of the room isn't extremely off the temperature of your tank, it'll be fine

homestar726

funny part is... our furnace brken yesturday, and wont be fixed till tomorrow or thursday, so the house is slowly getting colder... So i put the 50w from my 10g planted in the 33g, and im using just light heat for my planted... Is this ok? or am I in for big trouble???

Any rental out there... lol

oenology

Cichlids are pretty hardy usually. If the temperature descends slowly then they should be OK for a couple days without a heater.

fishycanuck

Could you do small daily pwc with warmer water until things are fixed?

hamstercaster

Quote from: fishycanuck on March 28, 2007, 08:11:45 AM
Could you do small daily pwc with warmer water until things are fixed?

I don't think this would help much as the water temperature will get back to room temperature pretty fast, like probably within an hour or so.

beowulf

I've been lucky and never have had this experience but my brother has not been as lucky as two of his have cracked in the past.