Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dwarf Puffer Set-Up!

Started by warr0088, March 28, 2007, 05:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warr0088

I just acquired a 15 gallon tank with an in-water Fluval Filter (good for up to 29gallons) and canopy / light, etc.  My questions about setting the tank up are as follows:

1) I need a heater - what kind of wattage will I need to keep a 15 gal around 80 degrees?

2) I would like a white sand substrate ... I've seen some people recommend play sand and others pool filter sand - which works best for puffers?  I would like a heavily planted tank for these critters, does that affect my substrate decision? (I know MTS snails prevent issues with sand pockets but puffers eat snails ...)

3) What type of light should I buy to provide me with maximum plant growth? ... I just need the single strip light (They have some at BA's in Kanata specifically for plants, I think around 5000k?  There are so many damn options though, what to go with !?!?!?!?)

4) Should I buy a HOB filter instead of the in-tank or use a 2 filter combo?

5) Fertilizers for plants and cycling the tank - what do I need?  (heard fishless cycles take forever!)

Any help MUCH appreciated as I am in need of some direction here  :o

warr0088

ssoooo can anybody give me some sort of advice here?  I picked up a 50lb bag of pool filter sand yesterday, but I'm not sure if I like it or not ... grains are bigger than I thought they were once getting it home and of course opened.  Need some advice on the toerh stuff to get going!

Thanks