Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ramshorn Snail?

Started by washefuzzy, March 28, 2007, 11:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

washefuzzy

Will my betta eat my med size ramshorn snail and will goldfish eat them.
I have the snail In a 2gal with my beta and I see the beta nipping at them!

KLKelly

If they will fit in their mouths they'll sure try to eat them.

I have a few friends with ramshorn in with goldfish.  I hear goldfish can peck at them and make them stressed.  I'm not sure if they would have to try and compete with the goldfish for food or not - b/c goldfish can be piggies.

I was thinking about it but decided against it for now.

There are a few people knowledgeable on snails here though so I'm sure they'll provide some great advice.

Karrie

sas

Yes I'm afraid your ramshorn will eventually be a snack for either of those fish......maybe not immediately. Also the snail will be so stressed by the fish nipping at it's tentacles, mouth,eyes and siphon that it won't be able to feed properly :(. Wow never thought I'd be talking about poor snails :-\.

cory

My yellow labs eat them....no idea why. (They are fed properly)

BigDaddy

I kept ramshorns with goldfish... the goldfish would pick at their tentacles.. but otherwise they survived just fine.

Laura

I would suggest removing the ramshorn from the betta tank and trying it with your goldies.  Some bettas and some goldies will pick on snails, forcing them to rarely come out of their shell - no fun for you, or the snail - as sas said, it can force them to not feed properly. :(.  Although not the best tankmates, some bettas and goldies are just fine - it's sort of the luck of the draw.

I would also remove him as snails poop a lot, and the snail probably needs close to 2 gallons just for it's bioload (I know brigs need 2  gallons and canas need 5 gallons, so I'm just guessing for the marisa/ramshorn)

You can get some competition issues with the goldies, as they both love their veggies.  I don't know if marisas need their veg cooked beforehand to soften them or if they can eat them fresh.  You can find out at applesnail.net, or you can just try it out.  You want to try and feed high calcium veg like kale and dandelion.  Kale and dandelion both have pretty hard leaves, so if the marisa doesn't need it softened, it can probably eat it before the goldies can get at it which may deal with any competition issues.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

washefuzzy

These nails are to big for a mouthful snack. I don't have gold fish but I have a friend with goldies. Okay I have a community tank with plants could I put these stripe white and brown Ramshorn in with the plants?

Sarah Bella

in my experience neither bettas nor goldies eat the ones bigger than a pea.   bettas will make short work of newly hatched snails tho and sometimes snack on the smaller ones if they can get their "snouts" in the shell.  i have 4 goldfish & alternate my male bettas  in what has turned out to be a ramshorn breeding tank, i think i have 10 clutches of eggs in there right now.  i have never seen the goldfish bother the snails at all but i have seen the betta take nips here and there

ramshorns (assuming you mean the marisa [giant ramshorn]) and plants are not compatable.  one may not do tooooo much damage, but more than that will wipe out your vegetation in a very short time.   

beowulf

I personally have never seen my past bettas eat any snails, heck I have never seen them even bug them.  Shrimp on the other hand, the betta's love to attempt to catch and eat.

washefuzzy

Since I have 2 Ramshorn snails I'll donate one to my girl friend with the goldfish who has lots of algea in her tank and keep the other with the betta. actually the betta seems to just spend most of it's time with his tail wrapped around the snail. The betta must just be lonely. :)

washefuzzy

Thanks for all the information. Now I just have to make decisions. What I need is a 10 gal tank for my Betta and snail. Than all will be happy and lots of plastic plants for the snail to hide behind. Yep those snails sure where a deal at $1 for3. Now I'm going to spend money on a 10 gal aquarium. LOL!!! ;D ;D ;D
Thanks again for all the info it really was helpful. Yeah I read somewhere the snail needs 5 gal for one. sigh.

succinctfish

here's the page on applesnail.net that is about ramshorn snails.  Hope it helps.
Although it states that they are not for planted tanks, we have kept them without damage to our plants.  I guess there was a lot for them to eat, so they had no need for extra snacks.  :)
http://www.applesnail.net/content/species/marisa_cornuarietis.htm

sas

;D ;)       
Quote from: washefuzzy on March 29, 2007, 09:24:23 PM
Thanks for all the information. Now I just have to make decisions. What I need is a 10 gal tank for my Betta and snail. Than all will be happy and lots of plastic plants for the snail to hide behind. Yep those snails sure where a deal at $1 for3. Now I'm going to spend money on a 10 gal aquarium. LOL!!! ;D ;D ;D
Thanks again for all the info it really was helpful. Yeah I read somewhere the snail needs 5 gal for one. sigh.
LOL I can see MTS popping up here ;)

washefuzzy

thanks for the website it is helpful.
Sas what does MTS stand for.

beowulf

Quote from: washefuzzy on March 30, 2007, 11:21:18 AM
thanks for the website it is helpful.
Sas what does MTS stand for.

IN this case multi tank syndrome but also can stand for Malasian Trumpet Snails.

washefuzzy

sas

Yep Multiple Tank Syndrome :), not a bad thing really ;), enjoy it's great fun. You're getting into snails just wait til you find the shrimp and crabs lol ;D

washefuzzy

I'm so excited I've just aquired a 10 gal aquarium to throw my snail into. Problem solved. Now I will have 3 aquariums. I don't want to here a single word about MTS >:( ;D ;D

Sarah Bella

I would avoid any of the bushier plastic plants with male bettas,  their fins tend to get snagged and tear.  The flat broad leaf plastics are better :)

washefuzzy

could i put a couple of small fish in with the two snails in the 10gal? like white clouds