Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Freshwater Skimmer?

Started by busdriver, April 01, 2007, 12:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busdriver

Is there such a thing as a fresh water skimmer and if so, where can I get one?
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

audioslave_36

I have been using a small one that sticks on the side of my tank and one of the intakes from one of my Fluval 404's is connected to it, I found that it makes a big difference in my tank as there is nothing on the surface of my water anymore. I got it at BA in Kanata for 20 bucks.

busdriver

Quote from: audioslave_36 on April 01, 2007, 12:45:48 PM
I have been using a small one that sticks on the side of my tank and one of the intakes from one of my Fluval 404's is connected to it, I found that it makes a big difference in my tank as there is nothing on the surface of my water anymore. I got it at BA in Kanata for 20 bucks.
Thanks audioslave.

normc

kennyman

uggg. I'm having a moment, please bare with me  :D

Surface Skimmer is a device that draws water from the surface into a filter intake.

Protein Skimmer is a device that uses foam to separate proteins from the water.

I use a Surface Skimmer on my Protein Skimmer.

audioslave_36

Quote from: kennyman on April 01, 2007, 03:41:44 PMSurface Skimmer is a device that draws water from the surface into a filter intake.

This is what I use.

busdriver

Quote from: kennyman on April 01, 2007, 03:41:44 PM
uggg. I'm having a moment, please bare with me  :D

Surface Skimmer is a device that draws water from the surface into a filter intake.

Protein Skimmer is a device that uses foam to separate proteins from the water.

I use a Surface Skimmer on my Protein Skimmer.
I want to use it to take off the film floating on the water.

audioslave_36

That is why I use the one I have and it works great :)

KLKelly

I tried it on my 90 gallon - I don't have a film I have particles.

The problem I found was that all the particles weren't in range of the skimmers and I found the tubing wasn't long enough to really put the skimmer part far enough away from the filter outflow than I'd like.

PS.  I had the aquaclear version.  I've removed them since.  I need to find something better.

CuckooJay

Eheim makes a prety neat version of the surface skimmer... they never seem to be in stock though.