Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anyone ever use this?

Started by RoxyDog, April 02, 2007, 09:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoxyDog

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

beowulf

I remember that Daniel the fishroom manager at BA Montreal was trying them out in the store but from what he said the only one that seems to be consistently "accurate" is the pH one the rest are not great.

CuckooJay

We got a version of these in at BA Kanata. I think they're by red sea. We were all sceptical at best, but when tested in the store they prouved extremely accurate. I have one of the PH versions in a tank at home and it's working great!

zapisto

i really want to know what is the need of this kind of gadget ?

- Amonia ?
- PH ? Ok i can understand this one
- Other ?

well i test my water only few time a years , and only when i have difficulty breed some special pshyco fish.

darkdep

It's not necessary, but is cool if you like gadgets.  Like you zapisto, I almost never test my water unless something seems to be wrong, and even then I'm likely to just do a big water change and see if things get back to normal before I'll pull out a test kit of any kind.

beowulf

Quote from: DarkDep on April 02, 2007, 11:28:35 AM
It's not necessary, but is cool if you like gadgets.  Like you zapisto, I almost never test my water unless something seems to be wrong, and even then I'm likely to just do a big water change and see if things get back to normal before I'll pull out a test kit of any kind.

I'd have to say that I am also in the "lazy"  ::) group and mostly test when a tank is new or just moved or if something seems wrong.

zapisto

Quote from: beowulf on April 02, 2007, 11:30:04 AM
I'd have to say that I am also in the "lazy"  ::) group and mostly test when a tank is new or just moved or if something seems wrong.

dont think it is lazy.
if tank well cycle and well maintain , should not have any prob with thoose param (well i use quarantine for everything also :) )

Melody

I only use the ammonia alert and have found them to be just fine.  They're not any good for exact measurements I'm sure, but they do work if there's a spike.  I had a filter malfunction and didn't realize it - the Ammonia Alert turned a nasty shade and I figured out the problem. 

So while I don't think that constant testing is necessary, ammonia is the first sign of trouble so I like the peace of mind that six bux bought me.   :)

RoxyDog

Quote from: Melody on April 02, 2007, 01:17:23 PM
So while I don't think that constant testing is necessary, ammonia is the first sign of trouble so I like the peace of mind that six bux bought me.   :)

this was my thought.  I never test for anything, unless there's a change in the tank.  just wondered if anyone used it.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

KLKelly

I have one on every tank and I love it.  I am on well water with high ph of 8.2.  This winter the ammonia in the well went to .5 which caused a blip.  Prime was enough to keep it safe.

I've had two blips in different tanks that i wouldn't have caught because I only test before water changes or if a fish is acting off.

I have the ph one (mardel) in two of my small tanks because I use city water and it is constantly dropping below 7 which isn't risky but not ideal for the fish I have.  The ph card makes me less anxious and allows me leeway in testing.  Its surprisingly accurate.  The seachem ph cards were too difficult to tell the colour.

I highly recommend them for tanks with delicate fish or for catching blips in the water if you don't test often.

gonna_b_no_1

I have 15 tanks at home and 5 at my kids school (mini adoption program i have going there) and I will admit to testing the classroom tanks once a month, I have not tested my own tanks in months.

IF i see my fish acting weird, I will pull out the test kit, and usually only check for amonia. 

I do check the tap water with each season though!

When I first moved here my tap water was 7.0 on the button, but since then, I've seen it move up to 7.4 (this winter)

Water changes every week, thank god for a python, unless I'm dealing with some absolutely tiny fry, then I"ll top off the water, and use airline tubing to take some out.

CuckooJay

I use the PH version in my 75 planted tank. I too am on well water, which isn't exactly the best thing for a planted aquarium. Point being, no matter what chemical I'm using (until I get an RO unit) the ph seems to gradually climb back up. And since I too am lazy.... I love these things! All I have to do is wank in the room, and the result's right there in front of me. Hey, why not?

gonna_b_no_1

QuoteAll I have to do is wank in the room, and the result's right there in front of me. Hey, why not?

:o ;D

PaleoFishGirl

OMG!! *faints*

Nice catch, Francine ;)