Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Any ideas on making aquarium decorations yourself??

Started by woof99, April 02, 2007, 06:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woof99

OK people!
I admit that I sometimes get crrrazzy ideas.  I went on ebay looking for aquarium decorations that might have an asian feel for my goldfish-  I did find one that was really cool, looked like a bonsai with apple blossoms... you get the idea.  Anyhoo, it was 28US$ and shipping from HongKong was another 28US$-  So that went down the drain.. then I thought I could make one myself!!!
I went online and found nothing-  I guess I am loony if noyone else thought of this!?!
Any thoughts out there?  I could get some natural stone with some silk flowers ad use aquarium safe silicon and make myself a marvelous creation   :D

BUT... I don't know about the flowers, don't want to add toxins to my tank.

Any thoughts??? :)

CA

estuary

plants,go to micheals or dollar store silk, plastic ok too
cement statues unpainted
rocks, nature walk
pvc pipes
teracota pots

woof99

Thank you for the advice-  I did buy some flowers at the dollar store, but there is glue holding the flowers in place and I decided to soak them in water (not the tank) and sure enough it became white and the glue seems to be peeling-
I will try Micheals- they might have some without any glue-

Thanks again!

Nerine

I use the silk plants from dollar store :D no problems yet!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

sweetness85

pretty much all my decos are dollar store vases of some type...cheap but really nice to look at

catfishsteve

I just bought a coconut today $1.69 I'm gonna slice it in half on the table saw and dremel an arched cave opening in one half.
has a south pacific feel to it.

Laura

I tried to make a tiered decoration in my pottery class, my plan was to plant the different levels, and there were built in tunnels and hidey-holes.  Unfortuately it was hideous. :P
Apparently I should stick to plates and casserole dishes.

I did make some tubes that looked alright though.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds