Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Show us your office tanks

Started by murgus, April 03, 2007, 09:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murgus

It seems like I am not the only one contemplating starting an office tank (see Nerine's post).  So, to give us some ideas, please show us the tanks that make work bearable!

Ideally a brief description of it inhabitants and your maintenance schedule could be provided too.

Thanks,
Andrew

PaleoFishGirl

Excellent idea, Andrew!  I'm thinking about it too... can't wait to see them all!

zapisto

Tank : AR-380 (dont know the volume)
Ligth : compact fluo
filtration : Wet&Dry integrated
shrimp only tank

PH : Unknow (never test that)
KH: Unknow (never test that)
GH: Unknow (never test that)

will make a better description when i have more tim :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

murgus

murgus

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on April 03, 2007, 10:17:44 AM
Excellent idea, Andrew!  I'm thinking about it too... can't wait to see them all!

Yeah it will be cool to see what people have. 

I was initially thinking of a bunch of white cloud mountain minnows in a 5 gal or so.  They are tough buggers and can handle colder temps (and I like to looks of them when they get bigger).  But when zap mentioned shrimp only and plants it got me thinking that I bet there are lots of different types out there...

Andrew

bitterman

RoxyDog

http://ovas.ca/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=958

5gal waterhome, betta, cherry shrimp snails.  not heated.  I do a very small water change once a week, no gravel vac or anything though.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

catfishsteve

Hmm.. I've been thinking about setting up an office tank for awhile.
Only thing is it would be a "cubicle tank" not sure if I can get away with that. Don't wanna look to much like a slacker.
(have to keep the illusion going)
I'd be curious to know how many levels from the top everyone is that have office tanks.
My boss is number two in my orginization.

Mettle

I guess I need an office before I get an office tank, huh?   ;D

My mother has a 3 gal Hagen waterhome at work with a betta in it. She works in a cubicle. No one has said anything to her about it.

repeej

I've got a Eclipse Hex 5.  Tenants are 3 Zebra Danios and 2 Peppered Cories.  No deaths in over a year and I rarely do water changes.  Have switched to an air pump operated  sponge filter.

The glass is so dirty you can barely see through....i'm too lazy to clean it and I like hearing my co-workers complain about it. 

My response to anyone who asks "if we're allowed" is that there is more water in the water cooler than in my aquarium.

zapisto

Quote from: catfishsteve on April 03, 2007, 08:50:51 PM
I'd be curious to know how many levels from the top everyone is that have office tanks.
My boss is number two in my orginization.

doen't mean nothing :)
My organisation is about 60 000 employee so
but i would say haave an office close help a lot.

kitten

I use to have a 2.5 gallon, with a betta and a albino cory, in my cubicle at a previous place I worked at.  No one minded me having it there, actually a few people would visit each day just to watch them swim around.

The only thing I was asked was to keep the tank on a spot on my desk that was not near or over the computers or power cords.  Other than that precaution no one complained.

It was one of those Explorer/Starfish tanks with the built in filter.  No light, no heater, and I did a water change about twice a month.

If I end up somewhere permanently again I'll probably setup another little tank on my desk.

BigDaddy

I have had 5 gallon and 10 gallon planted tanks in my offices.  Both were "cubical" style offices, no solid walls and closed doors.

I would only do tank maintenance during lunch or after hours... no one ever took issue.  Even the Senior VP of my company commented on how nice the tank was.

murgus

Quote from: BigDaddy on April 05, 2007, 11:53:27 AM
I have had 5 gallon and 10 gallon planted tanks in my offices.  Both were "cubical" style offices, no solid walls and closed doors.

I would only do tank maintenance during lunch or after hours... no one ever took issue.  Even the Senior VP of my company commented on how nice the tank was.

What did you have in the 5 BD?

Thanks,
Andrew

Nerine

I agree with the comment about more water in the cooler hehe
it's true! :D

we don't have a water cooler anymore, but we will be getting a tank set up very soon here :) and I'm 2nd in command and it's the boss's idea (my idea in her head) :D

these office tanks are great! If anyone has the chance...go take a quick peak at AltaVista Manor (retirement residence) they have a HUGE saltwater set up, I've been watching them set it up, I've seen it since it only had 2 fish in it, and now it's full of corals and fish! beautiful tank!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

BigDaddy

Quote from: murgus on April 05, 2007, 11:56:52 AM
What did you have in the 5 BD?

Thanks,
Andrew

The 5 had a small school of glowlight tetras and amano shrimp.  The 10 had a pair of rams and a small school or rasboras.  Both were planted (of course!)  :)

groan

my dentist at Place D'orleans has a large SW in the waiting area. it's great when i go, i always site RIGHT in front of it or right beside it.
i think it's about a 85-100 gallon bowfront. it's very nice. check it out.