Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Picture of a Mermaid?

Started by FishBuddy, April 07, 2007, 07:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishBuddy

I just came back from Alberta and have stopped by the Indian shop in Banff to see this famous mermaid skeleton.  It looks to be quite real and has a newspaper article on it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

Nerine

you found the Fiji Mermaid!!!!
So very cool!

there are 7 still in existance :D relics of PT Barnum's 19th century showmanship :)

the one in Alberta has been there over 100 years :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

groan

Nerine

hehe yes it does :D

but I reconized the Fiji Mermaid long before that!! ;)
I LOVE Ripley's Believe or Not Museums!!!
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

insl8r

I was there back in 1984 and saw it then. I've told many people about it but no one ever believed me about how real it looked. Started doubting myself as I was only 12 then but thanks to this I know my faculties are still intact.

catfishsteve

Looks like my mother in-law  ::)

PoisonJello

you found the mermaid, I have wanted pictures of it for many years, anyone i ever mentioned it to thought i was crazy  :D

Nerine

good reason for a trip out west ;)

there are a few in private collections...I believe there was one that traveled thru ottawa? I don't remember LOL I have seen them around a few times ;)

FishBuddy

Quote from: PoisonJello on April 09, 2007, 03:44:00 AM
you found the mermaid, I have wanted pictures of it for many years, anyone i ever mentioned it to thought i was crazy  :D

Oh, it looks pretty real :-)  I stared at it for a good half hour studying its features, etc...  I've seen this skeleton many times since I was 11 as I used to lived in Alberta and we go to Banff quite often.  You could even buy a postcard of this skeleton in the Indian shop :-)

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

PoisonJello

I lived in alberta for 2 years and wish i was still there sometimes, went to banff many times but always forgot to go back to take a picture of the mermaid and ya i looked at it for long time too. it looks real but i guess that is because it was made with real animals  :)