Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How long can fish survive without a filter?

Started by Carsen, April 09, 2007, 12:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carsen

Hi there,

Yesterday morning I noticed the filter on my 45 gallon tank wasn't working. I removed it but can't seem to find the problem, so I may need to get a new one. My question is - how long can the fish be happy without some kind of filtering system?  It's already been 2 days, and the part I need to get for it isn't available in the store and would need to be ordered. 

There are only 7-8 fish in the tank, but it was due for a water change.  Should I go ahead with the change without the filter? Would that help?

Any input would be appreciated!

Nerine

do your water change...and make sure your air pump is kept on.

when my fry are really really little they usually go without a filter for the first couple weeks but I'm very religious with water changes and the movement in the water.

Feed your fish less and keep that water moving
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

darkdep

Depends on size of the tank, what fish, etc.

Order your part; no feeding at all.  If you have an airpump, put an airstone in the water to help keep some circulation going.  If the tank is small or the fish are large, keep an eye on the ammonia readings and waterchange as often as needed.

zapisto

here a emergency setup :

materials need :
- power head
- water tube
- tupperware big enough to hold all the media in you filter

indication :
make hole on the bottom side of the tupperware
put all you media in the tuppware all sponge have to be at the top

connect the tubing top your poower head , and the other end in the tupperware
put power head in tank , plug and woila.

let me know if you have question.

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Carsen

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm afraid I can't try the DIY filter project, since its my powerhead that needs to be replaced/repaired. It does sound like a great idea though!

I have the aerator going full-steam and will do a water change this afternoon. I'll do them more frequently until I can get the filter up and running again. Shouldn't be more than a few days.

No feeding at all? They are not going to like me...

Thanks again!

zapisto

Quote from: Carsen on April 09, 2007, 01:15:11 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm afraid I can't try the DIY filter project, since its my powerhead that needs to be replaced/repaired. It does sound like a great idea though!

I have the aerator going full-steam and will do a water change this afternoon. I'll do them more frequently until I can get the filter up and running again. Shouldn't be more than a few days.

No feeding at all? They are not going to like me...

Thanks again!

my problem here is not the fish , they will found somthing to eat believe me.
but you will loose 95% of you bacteria in filter, that's will scare dme more than anything else.

groan

wont the bacteria be present int he substrate? shouldn't it multiply fast enough to stabilize things?

gonna_b_no_1

take the media and put it into a panty hose and throw that into the tank.  :D

KLKelly

I hear the majority of the biobugs are in the filter.  This is why if you clean the filter out with tap water or replace media you set off a minicycle. And you can often instantly cycle a tank with just filter media.
Ammonia and nitrites could get to toxic levels which is why you should monitor it. 
I'd keep an eye on your fish also. 
Not feeding is a good idea.

kennyman

Power filters outcompete the rest of the tank for nutrients so once you have a filter running on a system you need to stick with it. There is not much bacteria elswhere. The idea about floating the sponge or floss in tank until you get your unit repaired is a good one. You are slowly loosing the bacterial culture and will end up having to recycle the tank if it takes too long. That will be much harder on the fish.

Carsen

Good news!

I tried one last time to put the unit back together and got it working. Maybe the interior had gotten wet and was able to dry out while it was apart? That's my theory, but only because I have no other ideas. Whatever happened, it's fully operational again, so I am happy. In the end, my fishies were only left unfiltered for a couple of days, and they all seem pretty happy now.

You have all been very helpful. Thanks so much for your comments and ideas.

PoisonJello

it sounds like you need a new impeller, once they get wore out enough the magnet will touch the side and stop it from working if it get centered again it can still work but you should still get a new one soon

zapisto

Quote from: PoisonJello on April 10, 2007, 12:21:06 AM
it sounds like you need a new impeller, once they get wore out enough the magnet will touch the side and stop it from working if it get centered again it can still work but you should still get a new one soon

agree