Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Clown Loach and Koi/ LArge Goldfish

Started by scorpion-stinger, April 09, 2007, 03:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scorpion-stinger

Can I mix them? add clown loach with koi and large golsfish?

scorpion-stinger

oppsssss  sorry   :o I didnt realize I was in the classifieds.  :D

beowulf

Not really as the koi if I remember correctly prefer colder water.  Another is that clowns love lots of flow, like a stream not as sure about koi.  Personally I would not mix them.

scorpion-stinger

Actually my GF and KOI water temp is at 74 - 77 or so (due to how temp) and I have a powerfull PH and has lots of flow etc...

beowulf

Quote from: scorpion-stinger on April 09, 2007, 04:17:29 PM
Actually my GF and KOI water temp is at 74 - 77 or so (due to how temp) and I have a powerfull PH and has lots of flow etc...

That is not bad, clowns prefer closer or even higher then 80 but could live in that temp.  What size tank?

scorpion-stinger

scorpion-stinger

Boxing day going to get a 96x18x24 tank ;) So i'll transfer them in there (the clown loach). Going to make a river tank with it.

estuary

watch amonia levels koi and large goldfish produce a lot of waste

scorpion-stinger

squeeker

Goldfish and Koi like cool water.  They can, and will, eat anything that will fit in their mouths, other fish included.  Koi grow to over 3 feet long, so they have BIG mouths.

Clown loaches will get ich if they are stressed, ie if they are being picked on, or the water is too cold.

The two species should not be mixed, IMO.  Also, your koi need a minimum of 150 gallons EACH, common goldfish 20 gallons each, and fancy goldfish 10 gallons each.  I don't know how many of each you have, but your tank is surely overstocked, and as such you shouldn't be adding any more fish to it, especially clown loaches.

My $0.02.

estuary

DavidJohnson

Quote from: scorpion-stinger on April 09, 2007, 03:54:50 PM
Can I mix them? add clown loach with koi and large golsfish?

I wouldn't.  Your clown loach really needs 4-5 clown loach friends, not Koi or goldfish.

Nerine

I would NOT mix them...don't forget the clowns do NOT have scales and goldfish may stress them out way too much.

your koi will get much larger faster. not a good mix at all.
I have 5 medium sized koi in a 500 gal holding tank in the winter and that is WAY too small from them now...they started off ok during last fall but have out-grown it already.
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts