Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Python question

Started by hamstercaster, April 12, 2007, 11:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamstercaster

Hi, Audioslave's search for a Python syphon sparked a question in my mind.  No doubt this is a wonderful product that saves lots of hassles of carrying pails all over the place but one question remains?  How do you go about adding water conditionner?  Do you simply add it in the tank as it is filling up?  How to do you gauge it as you can only have an approximate number as to how many gallons have been taken out during the water change while doing it with pails gives you a more accurate number me thinks.. unless you are changing 50% of the water... or do you just simply add the conditionner once the tank has been filed up again and let the filters, powerheads etc do the work to mix in the conditionner in the tank...

thanks in advance for your answers as they will help me decide to wether or not go that route.

Yvon

Saltcreep

Hi,

I can't answer your question about a Python because I simply refuse to use one. Why? I just can't get comfortable with pouring perfectly clean tap water down the drain to assist with draining a tank. On your question of estimating the volume of water being changed I offer this suggestion. Once you have determined the exact volume of your tank in US gallons using ... Height X Width X Depth (in inches) / 231, simply divide the depth of your tank in inches by a proportion of the tank volume and mark this on an inconspicuous place on your tank. For example, if you have a 240 gallon tank that is 24 inches deep, then every inch of tank depth represents 10 gallons of a water. Start at the top of your tank and make a small mark every 2" down to the bottom. When you're draining water, if you drain '2 marks worth', you've drained out 40 gallons. This method also eliminates the problem of estimating the volume of tank decorations etc which has a direct effect on the volume of your tank; especially important if you find yourself in need of a large water change.

normc

You don't have to leave the tap on if the sink is lower than the tank. Just unhook the the tube at the sink. It helps if you use quick connectors I got mine at Canadian tire they're for garden hose. Just don't buy the cheepy ones mine are GARDENA. I have one at the tape end and another tank end. They have a small plastic stop inside to stop the water when you unhook, knock this out as it will clog with plant material etc. If you are making your own they are all you need along with the hose clear tubing is available at Home depot (if think thats where I saw it. Then all you need is the tap fitting. I know they sell them at BA and probably other places as well.
I put the water conditioner etc. while filling. I change between 15 and 20% and I've had no problems with my Discus. 

RoxyDog

answer:  I guesstimate.  :)  I usually drain the tank halfway, throw in the conditioner and fill 'er up again.  My tank is 77gals, with a lot of rock.  I use enough conditioner to do 30ish gals, which I guess is about how much I take out.  :)  I use the powdered stuff which goes a long way, I might not be so inclined to guess if it was liquid big $$ stuff.  So...guess. :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

hamstercaster

thanks for answering my question and providing extra information

fishycanuck

I put concentrated dechlorinator (for ponds) in after filling. I put in enough to treat the volume of water in the tank, not the volume which has been replaced.

BigDaddy

Careful fishy... too much dechlorinator can be a bad thing... especially if you are doing that each time and only doing small % waterchanges

fishycanuck

I usually change 30 to 50% of the water. Just following directions on the bottle re: treating the entire volume.

BigDaddy

For ponds I could understand... because we are dealing with extremely large volumes of water.  But an aquarium is significantly smaller, and there is an exponentially greater risk of build up which has been proven to have negative implications.

RedFish

My sink is higher than the tanks.   I use a regular syphon and empty into a bucket.  I use that water to water the plants and what is left I dump outside not down a sink.
Then I use the python to fill up, and since I know how much I took out it is easy to put in the right amount of conditioner.

BigDaddy

Redfish:

It doesn't matter if the sink is higher than the tanks... you will still get decent suction with the venturi action of the python.

However, I do know a few people who don't like using pythons for that very reason.. a lot of waste water.

RedFish

BD:   I did try it at the beginning, and the python/sink was able to pull the water out, but I had to run the water to keep it going.   Though, I really didn't like the water waste.

I actually like the syphoning of the water, standing there and looking at the fishies.   But then again I don't have large or many tanks.

audioslave_36

see now I wasn't aware of having to run the water the hole time, but then again the sink is lower than all my tanks, and cleaning a 220g, 90g, 55g, and two 10g tanks is just too many pails of water.

Dave

BigDaddy

Yes... in order to really benefit from the venturi, Python recommends you run the cold water full force while draining.  It does make a huge difference in the amount of suction you get... but does create a ton of waste water.  Thankfully, living in Quebec, I don't pay a water bill so at least I don't see it hitting me in the pocket book

And yes Red, once you get a couple of hundred gallons of tank water to replace... hoses and buckets get kinda tedious  ;)

audioslave_36

Quote from: BigDaddy on April 12, 2007, 09:15:19 PM
And yes Red, once you get a couple of hundred gallons of tank water to replace... hoses and buckets get kinda tedious  ;)

Tedious indeed,  that is why I want a Python ;D