Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sponge filters

Started by KLKelly, April 15, 2007, 09:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I'm looking for a sponge filter that doesn't take the round cylinder sponge.

I have a single goldfish fry thats only 1.25 cms.  I'm medicating my goldfish tank and I am worried about the impact ofthe ry in the breeder net.  I had bought a 3 gallon tank but the internal filter it came with blew the little guy all over the place.

I need to have a 10 gallon cycled instantly and I'd like a sponge filter that I can cut up some sponge from my 90Gallon filters.  I have ammonia in my tap water so keeping him in an uncycled tank isn't ideal.

Is there any place I can buy this type on sponge filter.  I've looked at superpet and petcetera so far close to my house.

Anyone seen this type of filter in stores? Explaining it here would be easier than trying to describe it to LFS staff on the phone.

Thanks!

Seanc

why don't you just get on of the circular one?
but i do belive fishtail.ca has some. under lees in the filter section.
hth
Sean

kennyman

I think you want to use your exising media right? It would be great if you could find one of those old square bubble filters because you could put your existing media in there. They used to be $2 or $3 and worked just a good as the $20 hydor sponge filters. I guess that is why people stoped carying them. last for ever and cost almost nothing  :(

KLKelly

Yep that's exactly what I'm looking for.  I have seen them on petshrimp.com - lots of people have them in their shrimp tanks but I was 0 for 2 the other day and didn't want to drive to bigals/petsmart if its an uncommon item.

charlie

Quote from: kennyman on April 16, 2007, 09:02:49 AM
I think you want to use your exising media right? It would be great if you could find one of those old square bubble filters because you could put your existing media in there. They used to be $2 or $3 and worked just a good as the $20 hydor sponge filters. I guess that is why people stoped carying them. last for ever and cost almost nothing  :(

Kennyman, are you thinking of the box filter ( corner filter), as per link

http://www.csupomona.edu/~jskoga/Aquariums/Cornerfilter.html
i have seen them around recently , but cant think where @ the moment.
Regards

Sarah Bella

Quote from: KLKelly on April 16, 2007, 09:22:58 AM
Yep that's exactly what I'm looking for.  I have seen them on petshrimp.com - lots of people have them in their shrimp tanks but I was 0 for 2 the other day and didn't want to drive to bigals/petsmart if its an uncommon item.

got my box filters at zellers, walmart carries them sometimes too...   i saw them at superpet recently, cheaper than zellers...   you cant find any anywhere i have half a dozen of them, i can part with one....

KLKelly