Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

energy-efficient bulbs a good idea?

Started by warr0088, April 18, 2007, 06:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warr0088

Hey all,

I decided to try something different.  I used my 10gal light fixture and stuck 2 X 23 watt bulbs in it which happen to be those white energy-star bulbs.  The bulbs are supposed to be 100watt replacements, only putting out 23 watts a piece.  I stuck the fixture over my 15 gallon tank and it does look brighter that's for sure.

My question is, is this a good idea? lol.  I have no idea what the light characteristics of these bulbs are, so I really don't know if this will help me with better plant growth or not ... my other light fixture only has a 15watt single tube, so I'm assuming this will be a better light source than that?

Anyone have any info on this matter?

Thanks!

matt

Hey, I'd say that that lighting should work and would be better. I use two 27 watts philips CFL spiral daylight bulbs to illuminate my 33 gallon and my plants are doing great, theres alot of new growth  ;D and they all seem healthy. As for the fish all their colors come out and they seem happy about the lighting. Hope this helps a little.

washefuzzy

I've been using those bulbs for the last month and everybody seems happy and healthy.

Adam

I've used those for about 7 months or so...my plants grow like weeds, including some high light plants.

150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

Laura

Those lids often say they have a 15w limit.  Now I know doodly about electricity, but if it were me, I would put in 15w spiral flourescents instead of the 23w.
(I have 2 x 15w on a 15 gallon, and it's great for growing plants)
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

warr0088

Thanks everyone - My canopy says it is rated for maximum 25 watts, so I went with the 23 watt spirals (which replace 100watt incanedscent bulbs).  It really raised the temp though and it's friggan hot so I think i'm gonna down the wattage a bit ... that would put me at 13 watts per bulb to give me 26 watts total, which supposedly replaces the 60 watt incandescent.... still better than what I hadI suppose.

Anyone else had goodluck with these bulbs ?????

kennyman

Yes I built a low cost canopy with these a few years ago. They are ok and certainly better than incandescent but not really much better than standard fluorescent tubes. You can find ones in the color range of all the fancy aquatic specific tubes at stores like Big Al's but the cost difference is large.

Adam

The 13 watt ones are really red in colour...
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

Saltcreep

I'm another big fan of CF lighting. I like the Philips Daylight Deluxe. Nice, brilliant white. Although the bulbs themselves are not marked, on the back of the blister pack they come in, way down in the bottom left, is the notation '6500' which seems about the right temperature for 'daylight' bulbs. I'm almost 100% converted to CF and regular T-8 fluorescent lighting in my home and now, it looks like thanks to our Provincial government, everyone else will be too. Seems the major concern with these bulbs is that they contain mercury and are therefore hard to dispose of. According to our environment minister, the amount of mercury in a CF is minuscule; less than in a watch battery. He says they may be disposed of with other household waste. I mean, if you can't believe your environment minister, who can you believe?  ::)

warr0088

Ok so did some research on the Philips Daylight Deluxe bulb and seems to be the best fit for what I'm trying here - I got my bulbs at Walmart and couldn't find them there - where did evryone else get theirs?

Saltcreep

Quote from: warr0088 on April 19, 2007, 01:03:45 PM
Ok so did some research on the Philips Daylight Deluxe bulb and seems to be the best fit for what I'm trying here - I got my bulbs at Walmart and couldn't find them there - where did evryone else get theirs?

The Philips Daylight Deluxe are (or were) definitely available at Home Depot. They also have the T-8 Daylight Deluxe tubes.

warr0088

Ok excellent - wondering what size or wattage to buy for my 15gal ... would you reccomend the 60watt or 100 watt replacement? (not sure if bigger is always necessarily better) ...

Saltcreep

Quote from: warr0088 on April 19, 2007, 03:17:56 PM
Ok excellent - wondering what size or wattage to buy for my 15gal ... would you reccomend the 60watt or 100 watt replacement? (not sure if bigger is always necessarily better) ...

Right now, I'm using 3 X 27W Daylight Deluxe over a 50g tank, 48" long. It's a planted community tank and that level of light is more than enough. I think I may actually have more algae than before so I might drop to two bulbs or drop the wattage a bit. You might want to start with a couple of 13W bulbs on that 15, depending on what's in it.

Adam

I have 2 of the 27W bulbs in my fixture.  Sometimes it seems like too much light over my 14 gallon.  The 15W Phillips aren't red like the other brands...they have about the same colour as the 27Watters.

Adam

PoisonJello

I have 2 11 watt (equivalent to 40) on my 10g and its really bright, I believe sumbeam brand and there white in color, i have no plants but algae is growing fast  ;)