New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS Executive Elections

Started by darkdep, April 19, 2007, 08:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garnpet

Quote from: busdriver on May 22, 2007, 12:15:16 PM
I would like to put my name in for something, I just don't know what! ???

Librarian sounds popular!
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

beowulf

Quote from: garnpet on May 22, 2007, 12:16:32 PM
Librarian sounds popular!

LOL it is a good place to start and learn and move up from.

busdriver

Quote from: beowulf on May 22, 2007, 12:18:14 PM
LOL it is a good place to start and learn and move up from.
The problem with librarian is, I would want to read all the books before I lent them out ::)
Is there a position called 'proof reader' I like reading documents, I find some of them very interesting.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

beowulf

Can I put my name in as Past President?

My first choice would be librarian but a few others interest me also.  Art suggested auctions but not sure if I am ready for that much work just yet lol.

darkdep

For anyone looking to volunteer but not sure for what, volunteer anyway!  We'll find a spot for you :)

BigMomma

Quote from: succinctfish on May 10, 2007, 10:49:46 AM
What about executive meetings?  Are there alternatives for involvement, such as teleconferencing for those folks unable to make a meeting due to distance issues or health?  If you are unable to be at the May meeting because you are away, can you still run for a position? These are just some questions that have come up during conversations. 
This thread is a terrific idea!

If teleconferencing from time to time is an option than I am very interested in volunteering for the Treasurer position since I have a background in finance, budgets & forecasting.

I can also offer my services as French liaison/translator when need be ...  ;). Interesting fact is that the OVAS Newsletters from the 60's and 70's contained a lot of French articles. It might be something to think about for the future!

babblefish1960

Quote from: BigMomma on May 22, 2007, 12:58:48 PM
This thread is a terrific idea!

If teleconferencing from time to time is an option than I am very interested in volunteering for the Treasurer position since I have a background in finance, budgets & forecasting.

I can also offer my services as French liaison/translator when need be ...  ;). Interesting fact is that the OVAS Newsletters from the 60's and 70's contained a lot of French articles. It might be something to think about for the future!

As you are currently aide de camp for the translation of sensitive domcuments, I would suggest that this is a grand idea as something of niche needing filling for our "other" English aquarists.

Teleconferencing seemed to work at an Executive meeting recently, aided by the ability to make faces without retribution to the callers comments. ;)

This is clearly going to be an interesting election, and a minor modification to available positions would have to be that the Executive appointed webmaster is one of only two non-elected positions, as it requires a certain amount of skill that is not easily transfered. The other of course would be the past president, which has a prerequisite of being the president first.

As for everyone else, all positions are always open, as each position is elected for a one year period, so whatever strikes your fancy would be what would be good for one to stand up for.

And, as there seems to be quite some interest this year, I would suggest that even though some may not be elected, there are many uses for volunteers throughout the year that are truly important in the functioning of the club.

artw

Beowulf, it's not that much work actually.  We have a new system in place, and most of the work for the Giant Auction is already done, you just need to change the dates on stuff and re-print the sheets.  the Mini auction is a piece of cake now that we have this new software (Thanks garnpet!)

If you, or anyone would like to take on Auction Chairman, I will be available as a liason person to bring you up to speed if you will.. which means I'll sit beside you for the first couple meetings to make sure everything is going swimmingly as they say.  And of course I'll be around for the Giant Auction but by that time,  the new Auction Chairman should be up to speed.

(Outgoing) Auction Chairman,   Arty flyboy

charlie

Quote from: busdriver on May 22, 2007, 12:15:16 PM
I would like to put my name in for something, I just don't know what! ???
How about social convenor?i would nominate you but i will not be at the meeting  :(
Regards

succinctfish

Quote from: charlie on May 22, 2007, 03:14:40 PM
How about social convenor?i would nominate you but i will not be at the meeting  :(
Regards
I don't know Terrry....how are your cookie making skills...perhaps we should have a bake off for social convenor?  I know of one person who will volunteer as a tasting judge. :D :D

redbelly

Quote from: charlie on May 22, 2007, 03:14:40 PM
Regards
Uh-oh! Competition!
I will be running for the social convenor as well  :)

succinctfish

Quote from: redbelly on May 22, 2007, 11:35:56 PM
Uh-oh! Competition!
I will be running for the social convenor as well  :)
sniff...I smell cookies!  :)

Mettle

Who decides if you're a member "in good standing"?

BigDaddy

darkdep

There are certain signs.  If you're banned from the forum, that's a clue that you're not "in good standing".  :)

RoxyDog

man, I really spoiled you guys with those homemade cookies huh?  :)  you'll have to go to the June meeting for the finale, cake!  and it won't be store bought.   8)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

charlie

Hey folks , can somone update those of us that could not make the meeting, who made the new exec. ?

BigDaddy

I'm posting it righ tnow charlie

charlie

busdriver

Quote from: DarkDep on May 10, 2007, 11:42:54 AM

Breeder Awards Program
- Provide, maintain, and make available to the General Membership and the Executive the society rules and standards for the Breeder Award Program (BAP) and Aquatic Horticulturalist Award Program (AHAP).
- Update and maintain accurate records of participation in the BAP/AHAP.
- Award points for captive reproduction of species and supporting materials as provided in the BAP/HAP rules.
- Advise the Executive of any certificates or memberships earned per season.
Just a small note, I don't have a clue what I've gotten myself into here. ??? ??? :)
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."