Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquaclear 20s or Penguin 100s?

Started by dpatte, May 01, 2007, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

For those that have seen my rack, Im thinking of swapping out two of my 30 gallon tanks for 6 10 gallon tanks which would sit endwise on my rack.

But I cant decide on which filters to use - Hagen 20s (minis), or Penguin 100s (minis)?

Please vote above, and let me know your opinion..

beowulf

For Hagen 20's you mean the Aquaclear's right?  I prefer those because you get to customize the media.

groan

if i were you i'd also consider the eheim little guy. (thats nto the actual name) but at BA's they had them on for $18 and i love them!
the water flows out horizontal to the water surface so you get lots of surface water movement and very little bubbles so its also very quiet (no gurgles).

it usees inserts but i dont see a reason why you cant place media in the compartment instead.
it isnt clear plastic but it looks great. I'm tinking i'll get these from now on.

KLKelly

I have both and I like the AC20's more because of the media basket, customizeable flow, easy to clean impeller and I find the filter foam blocks easy to clean compared to the blue filters in the Penguin.  The biowheels - you have to keep an eye on them after a while of using them to make sure they don't stop turning - just have to clean the plastic end rods to keep them going well.

I'll have to checkout the "eheim little guy" groan just posted on - havent seen them before.

babblefish1960

I think the little eheim guy is the aquaball, unless he means the new hob from eheim, I believe they are called either freedom or liberty, either way, they are good little filters, internal or hob, because we are all eheim snobs.

As for the bio wheel not turning, honestly, it is irrelevant that it turns, as long as water is still keeping it wet, they do not really need to turn, never clean them and don't replace them, turning is not necessary, they still act like a wet-dry biological filter, turning or not. This is not my opinion either, I don't have those, this is straight from Marineland in a passing conversation regarding something else. :)

groan

mseguin

I prefer AC's as IMO, they clog up much less, and the media is mroe customizable.