Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need advice on mechanical canister filter

Started by Quatro, May 04, 2007, 06:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quatro

Hey all,

I have a coral life turbotwist 3x UV sterilizer that I want to hookup.  I think that hooking it up inline with a canister filter is my best option (please say if there is a beter way).  I'm also looking to increase the mechanical filtration in my tank.  tank is a 75gal, UV ster. requires 100-200gph.  I was thinking of a Fluval 205 but wanted other opinions.  Thanks.

schauret

Quote from: Quatro on May 04, 2007, 06:27:19 PM
I think that hooking it up inline with a canister filter is my best option (please say if there is a beter way).

Yes it must be hooked up in-line on the return side of your canister.  For the canister selection it would depend on what other filtration you have.  My motto is go as big as you can afford...  ;)
Stephane

Quatro

The way I had it hooked up before was the output of a powerhead with quickfilter went out of the tank through the UV ster. and back in.  I couldn't securely connect the tube to the powerhead and one day during maintenance it popped off, fell out of the tank, and created a syphon directly onto my cable modem   :-[.

The setup right now is a emp 400 and a undergravel filter powered by 2 AC50 powerheads.

I can afford a good filter but am limited by the UV required flowrate.  If I pump the water at 400gph then it won't stay in the UV chamber long enough.

darkdep

It depends on how often you want to clean your canister.

Canisters (Except for Magnums) are not exceptional mechanical filters in general.  They're ok, but an AC is better.

If you get something like a 205, it will slow significantly as it gets dirty.  If you clean your canister every couple months, you could go with a bigger canister as it will slow down as the thing clogs up a bit. 

Ideas:

- Use a 20x canister and run the output to the UV
- Use a 30x canister and clean it less often
- Continue with your powerhead system, but revise the plumbing

BigDaddy

For mech filtration, you really can't beat a good HOB.