Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fluval FX 5 ???

Started by normc, May 29, 2007, 08:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

normc

Has any body had any experience with the FX5 filter.

Jesse

PM cory, he has one on his 125g frontosa tank.

busdriver

Quote from: normc on May 29, 2007, 08:22:51 PM
Has any body had any experience with the FX5 filter.
Hey Norm, when you find out do you want to let me know as I'm thinking of purchasing one?
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

garnpet

I helped a friend set one up on on his 125G Cichlid tank.  Very easy to do, as far as I know it works like a charm.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

normc

I bought it today, Shawn at superpet was very help full. I saved enough with my OVAS discount to pay for this years membership and most of next year.
Also Cameron one of the assist managers runs one on his tank, so if you have any question talk to him.

sas

I have 2 FX5 filters. I use one each on two 77g, I know a little over filtration but both tanks house very messy fish! I'm very pleased with them, as garnpet says they are easy to put together and to maintain. They run very quiet and have lots of space to play with different filter products.

mseguin

Cameron knows his stuff when it coems to fish.

babblefish1960

Everyone that I know that has one has said that this is a wonderful filter with tons of space for filter media, and incredibly quiet. If it has the flow you need, it won't disappoint you at all.

normc

neon

Just off the topic here, but would the Shawn at Superpet be Shawn Sutherland?

normc

Quote from: neon on June 01, 2007, 12:29:55 PM
Just off the topic here, but would the Shawn at Superpet be Shawn Sutherland?
He said he was the only Shawn working there when I asked who I should credit with helping me. Superpet Innis.

busdriver

Norm

Now I can't wait to get mine! :)
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

sniggir

for the price they are great for sure.. I still prefer the ehiem's ... but  I would definatly get a FX if the price was right
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

normc

I just finished a water change using the filters water change feature. Worked great, no wasted water all you have to do is sit there and watch the water level drop when enough has been drained just unplug the filter. ;D ;D

hamstercaster

Wow.. that sounds great... but does it put the water back in the tank or just drain it?  If so, the price difference between the fx5 and otheres may be under what a Python would cost so it could be worth it I suppose.... may be overkill on my 55g though  ;D

babblefish1960

Apples and oranges, one needs to keep in perspective what this filter is competing with, and if you have ever seen them, Eheim makes two very large canister filters 2157 comes to mind or 2187, capable of providing filtration for a 300 gallon tank, but around $800. This is the only time I have seen a fluval come anywhere near the performance of an Ehiem, it will be more telling to see one when it has been running steadily for ten years or more.