Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

carbon in a planted tank

Started by charlie, December 11, 2004, 02:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Should you use carbon media in a planted aquarium, what are the reasons for or against

luvfishies

No you shouldn't. The carbon removes trace minerals and fertilisers that the plants need. Carbon is only effective for 3-4 days to 2 weeks, anyways, so it's a needless expense, IMO.

postman

what if you have fish in the planted tank? would fertilization affects the fish?

luvfishies

Fertilisation will not affect the fish, as the dosages are minimal to fish health. What will happen is that the plants will thrive, making the tank BETTER for the fish.

It's all about balance. If the tank gets out of balance, it can get ugly, but rarely fatal for the fish.

postman

I see, so no carbon insert in the AC, just a sponge?

dpatte

i use no carbon in my aquaclears - or any filter for that matter - except my penguin and emperors which have carbon in the filter inserts.

I was wondering how to remove the carbon from these filter inserts before use - ideas?

pegasus

QuoteI was wondering how to remove the carbon from these filter inserts before use - ideas?
David, how about not trying to remove it, just run the first 2 weeks in a bucket of water and fertilizer. You should end up with de-activated carbon just good as a support for bacteria.  :idea:

BigDaddy

Actually, no one has proved that activated carbon has any impact on trace elements yet...

As far as removing the carbon from Penguin filter media... I have pulled off the original carbon pack and filter material, simply leaving the plastic frame and then re-attaching some filter floss to it with rubber bands.  By the time the rubber bands break down, it's usually time to replace the filter floss.

Anubias

"Actually, no one has proved that activated carbon has any impact on trace elements yet... "

Would you care to elaborate on any failures to do so? I don't think anyone on this board has "proved" anything lately. Activated carbon is sold to remove dissolved organic carbon from the water column. I was under the impression that it does so for a limited time. Does it not do so? Fe:EDTA is just such organic matter. Comments?

Eirikre

I leave the carbon which comes with the filter and never change it.  The carbon is only useful as a chemical filter for a very short period of time, probably less than two weeks.  After which it acts as an excellent biological media so I see no reason to replace it.

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Anubias""Actually, no one has proved that activated carbon has any impact on trace elements yet... "

Would you care to elaborate on any failures to do so? I don't think anyone on this board has "proved" anything lately. Activated carbon is sold to remove dissolved organic carbon from the water column. I was under the impression that it does so for a limited time. Does it not do so? Fe:EDTA is just such organic matter. Comments?

When I said "no one has proved...." I meant no one on the net in general, not specifically on OVAS

There have been discussions on the APD and elsewhere about the use of activated carbon in planted aquaria.  I seem to recall a regular contributor to the list whose held in very high regard as an expert indicate he was unsure if activated carbon was really as detrimental to a planted tank as we've all been led to believe.

And yes, activated carbon adsorbs ... and it can reach a saturation point where it desorbs the materials it had adsorbed.

If you use carbon in a tank, it is advisable to changing it periodically for that reason.  There is the potential for the carbon to desorb nasties back into the water column... with potential detrimental effect.

dpatte

i have heard that carbon which has absorbed chemical can actually bleed it back at a later time. Id leave the carbon in, but then I'd hate to swap it to another tank and fill that tank with everything i removed from the first tank!