New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Looking for Volunteers - Super Ex Petfest

Started by BigDaddy, June 06, 2007, 12:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemokid

I may be able to help out also. I will be at work during the weekday but may be able to work a few evenings or on the weekends. Just a question on behalf of people that may have allergies to animals, can you speak to the fact of if there will likely be say dogs and cats etc. in the visinity of the OVAS booth that could affect those allergy sufferers while working the booth? I have never been to the Pet Fest before so I wouldn't know the answer. Some may have to consider this issue.

PaleoFishGirl

It's a Pet Fest... I'm guessing there will be other pets nearby :)

artw

Yep last time we were right next to Little Rays, and there was a dog show on the other end of the building... there is lots of hay and grass around too...  so if yall suffer from allergies, bring yer claritin!

charlie

So anybody have an idea how much volunteers we need to participate ?
Do we have enough people to cover the weekday hours ( during the day) ?

babblefish1960

Let's assume that we have a need for 60 reasonable shifts, not including setup and tear down, that is 6 people at least per day, 2 per shift and 3 shifts per day, 10 days, how many would you like to do?

charlie

Quote from: charlie on June 06, 2007, 03:48:03 PM
I`ll volunteer for at least 1 weekend ( probably both)@ lest 4 hrs each day, also 3 hrs in the evening after 4  pm for 2 days during the week if needed. I support the tank set up & video shows of the last 2 years home show.
Regards
No longer available

babblefish1960

Well now, this is interesting, there are possibly 4 shifts of a sort from Charlie, that leaves 56 more, now that is something, anyone else like to stand and deliver smiles for a bit? Name your shifts I suppose.

alongfortheride

Hey, I would be able to take some shifts. Not really picky. I have a pretty open schedule and I would be able to work both weekends and weekdays as long as I am given enough notice :)
I think I can convince Patrick to join me too :)
We might be able to dress Achilles up in a fish costume ;)
Trina

Raygurl

So have they decided wheather or not were going? Im new and all i work full time but if i knew what days we still needed volunteers i might be able to switch some things around honestly we need a schedual because lots of people i think are willing to help its just a matter of knowing when we need the ppl cuz i can work a 1 full day and nights after 5 so let me know if were still going

washefuzzy

I can work 2 4 hour shifts during  weekdays but not back to back.

Toss

Count me up for two day shifts. I work in retail, so I don't know my schedule until it gets close to it, but it can be arranged :)
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

succinctfish

As I said earlier, I am in for something, a couple of shifts, and I shall have the nefarious Babble in tow, so if it is two per shift, which I think is a good minimum, then we have two four hour periods covered.  Some thoughts about it, assuming it goes ahead, if we do have tanks on display, how about a description of each tank and its inhabitants, which would make it easier for the volunteers.  Very few people here are experts in everything aquatic, and that's certainly not a requirement for participation, so it would be nice to have handouts to provide more information to interested people.  What about an FAQ sheet people can take with them, you know, aquarium myths, facts, maybe some info on different kinds of aquariums and their parameters, inhabitants--Salt, African, South American, etc.  Maybe a picture of a goldfish in a bowl looking unhappy with a big red line through the picture and then a happy goldfish in an aquarium.  :)
I agree that we need some sort of calendar or chart so that we can determine if we have enough folks to go ahead, anyone savvy enough to create one?

freshwater

As I have mentioned previously, I can pull around 20 shifts in that first week

Seanc

i will probobly be able to voulenteer most of the days.
probobly about 4hrs most days, except for the 16-17th

washefuzzy

Quote from: succinctfish on June 16, 2007, 12:17:26 AM
As I said earlier, I am in for something, a couple of shifts, and I shall have the nefarious Babble in tow, so if it is two per shift, which I think is a good minimum, then we have two four hour periods covered.  Some thoughts about it, assuming it goes ahead, if we do have tanks on display, how about a description of each tank and its inhabitants, which would make it easier for the volunteers.  Very few people here are experts in everything aquatic, and that's certainly not a requirement for participation, so it would be nice to have handouts to provide more information to interested people.  What about an FAQ sheet people can take with them, you know, aquarium myths, facts, maybe some info on different kinds of aquariums and their parameters, inhabitants--Salt, African, South American, etc.  Maybe a picture of a goldfish in a bowl looking unhappy with a big red line through the picture and then a happy goldfish in an aquarium.  :)
I agree that we need some sort of calendar or chart so that we can determine if we have enough folks to go ahead, anyone savvy enough to create one?

I've got enough calenders lying around the house I figure I could just fit peopl's name's into the little square's. Wait I have all sorts of program's with calenders on them on sure I could come up with someting. Yes I could take this on.  :)

Nerine

i'm not an ovas member yet....but would love to volunteer for the club!!
I am off work at 5pm and can arrange to be off a bit earlier on a couple days and bus on down (I hate parking at landsdowne)
my hubby isn't into fish all that much (he knows more than he lets on) but he can provide manual labor if needed! I can for sure do any time on the weekend, including most of a day (have a dog cant do all day) and during the week days I can only volunteer after 4pm.
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

PaleoFishGirl

We welcome non-members to volunteer as well!

Heck, we'll have memberships for sale, you could even buy one there ;)

normc

Is there some place where we can sign up ::)

freshwater

dpatte

it looks like alot of peole are willimg to volunteer - but Im not sure if anyone is building a tentative schedule to see if we have enough manpower to even have a booth.

Maybe we need someone to do that first. If somone can volunteer to build this tentative schedule and contact people that have voluteered here - we may have enough information to convince the powers that be that at least that portion of the task is covered.