New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Looking for Volunteers - Super Ex Petfest

Started by BigDaddy, June 06, 2007, 12:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDaddy

As was explained at the meeting in May, OVAS has been invited to participate in Petfest at this year's Ottawa Super Ex.  Obviously, this would be major exposure for the Club.  Additionally, OVAS would be able to be present at no cost to the club itself.  The only cost is the time volunteers would be willing to man the booth.

Super Ex will be held from August 16th to 26th.  The potential booth for OVAS would need to be staffed from noon until 9PM each day.  Super Ex officials have said the booth could be staffed for shorter hours each day if required (although not preferred) or only on the weekends (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

If you would like to volunteer, please sign up in this thread stating what days you could be available and what hours.  Anyone who mans the booth during the day will also be given free admission to the Ex.

Super Ex is looking for a tentative agreement from OVAS fairly soon, as they obviously have many plans to finalize as far as layouts etc...

Hoping we can get this started...   :)

Saltcreep

A lot of us weren't at the meeting in May. Could you supply a few more details? Exactly what would the booth staffer's duties be? Is this meant to be an educational event for the crowd or just some nice tanks to ogle?

beowulf

I might be available for a weekday towards the end as I get a volunteer day from the government.  Getting married August 11th then a week off so I would only be able to starting August 20th.

washefuzzy

I would be available during days for 4hours maybe twice during the ex.

PaleoFishGirl

I can do weekends, one of them for sure and 2 if you are nice to me :)

succinctfish

I will be available for some time, let me ponder my schedule, but I'm down for something. :)
I hope we will have tanks on display?  It's so much more interesting.  Perhaps we could also show homeshow videos, last years and this years.  Were there any before that?  That way people could see what we're about.  It would be great to have a planted, african and salt display tank.  I'm sure the logistics get tricky depending on whether we're there for the whole shebang or just weekends.  I bet there are a few tanks lying around the community that we could use.  ::) :D

PaleoFishGirl

We definitely need to have something set up, I'd prefer tanks.  I love the home show idea too.  I don't think it's worth our time to just sit there and hand out info sheets.

Saltcreep

Maybe a laptop and remote monitor with wireless internet access. Visitors could browse this site. Maybe the APW could set it up so visitors could browse the galleries and such.

darkdep

I don't know how feasible it is to have Internet Access there...

I can provide video products for display (Homeshow, plus my super-secret project for the June Meeting that I can't discuss).  I can come up with some equipment (no monitors tho).

Tank setups?  Damn...

BigDaddy

Quote from: Saltcreep on June 06, 2007, 02:59:37 PM
Maybe a laptop and remote monitor with wireless internet access. Visitors could browse this site. Maybe the APW could set it up so visitors could browse the galleries and such.

Actually, for the membership drive this season, I had the pages cached on to my laptop - no internet connection required  :)

charlie

I`ll volunteer for at least 1 weekend ( probably both)@ lest 4 hrs each day, also 3 hrs in the evening after 4  pm for 2 days during the week if needed. I support the tank set up & video shows of the last 2 years home show.
Regards
I`m no longer available

artw

some of you may be aware that OVAS had a pretty extensive setup at the 2002 Pet Fest. 

we had a betta bowl show,  a 10 gallon planted tank competition, as well as some 33's, some 20's and a 110g showing off guppies (sorry about that accident James!) freshwater fish and huge Oscars in the 110g.   

In order for us to pull this off again we need dedicated, full time volunteers

I will of course volunteer but I can only do weekday evenings which we will find is the case with most people. but we will gladly accept all and any volunteers!

Also it would be cool if the sponsors would like to get behind us on this as well, if not just to donate or let us use equipment tanks and/or fish

Jesse

Superpet used to help out with SuperEx, and I volunteered last year with them, but im not sure if Petsmart will keep it a tradition. If I can find out soon I will let you know, because if I am not gonna be there with them, I will be there with OVAS.

darkdep

We might want to offer sponsors some advertising at our booth as a thank you for helping out.

Sue

You would want some Strong anti-theft provision to have a laptop at the EX.
I remember being rather annoyed someone stole my Betta, bowl and all, the last time.

darkdep

I have extra Kensington Locks I can provide for the Laptop and any other equipment.

BigDaddy

Petfest is looking for an answer fairly soon.  Unless there is a significant increase in volunteer hours, we will likely have to decline their request.

freshwater

Quote from: BigDaddy on June 12, 2007, 10:44:08 AM
Petfest is looking for an answer fairly soon.  Unless there is a significant increase in volunteer hours, we will likely have to decline their request.

Please don't decline. My summer classes ends on the 16 or 17, and I'll be off until school starts again in early Spet. I was planning on go home shortly after the exams, but I can stay for an extra week to man the booth. So I'll be free all day for a week after the 16th(maybe the 17th). I can man the booth from ANYTIME to ANYTIME. I LOVE pets, I wouldn't mind to be there from 12-9 everyday for 7 days!

Let me check w/ my prof. about the exam date, and w/ my parents 'cause they wanted to come up here and drive me home, but I don't foresee any problems at this moment.

freshwater

btw, where is it taking place, I only have a bike ???

Saltcreep

Quote from: freshwater on June 12, 2007, 11:24:56 AM
btw, where is it taking place, I only have a bike ???

Still at Landsdown Park as far as I know.