Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Filter Question Rena XP3

Started by clouxles, June 18, 2007, 03:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clouxles

I have had a XP3 running without problem for 18 months. After cleaning it this weekend I noticed a very, very slow leak coming from top of the cannister. Anything I tried to do made it leak worse. Even a new seal did not work. Talked to the help desk... which was really the "no help desk"...or I had already tried all his trouble shooting tips. He did mention I may have a bad seal (even the new one)... so after 3 hours and many gallons of water I packed it up and installed another filter.

It has been a great filter to date so I'd like to tackle this again...anyone had similar problems and managed to work around them?

Thanks

Mark
Mark D.
210 gallon 3 Ornate Bichirs, 1 Dhelezi Bichir, 1 Rope Fish, Black Ghost Knife, Royal Pleco, Fire Eel, Clown Loach, BN Pleco
125 gallon Elephant Nose, Rainbows, Gourami (Pearl - Blue) Plecos (BN & Clown)

Go big or go home... no more MTS for me

babblefish1960

Without minimizing your frustration, have you made certain that the seat for the seal is completely clean and without any damage. It may sound obvious, but you really need to check that first.  The other thing you can do after this, is coat the seal itself in a silicone adhesive, it won't glue the seal to the housing, but it will close off any imperfections found in either surface.

kennyman

Isn't there a white (Lithium) grease that is used to seat new seals?

dan2x38

there is a silcone paste used in plumbing... a small container costs like $2.50 at a hardware store... I use it to make sure seals are leak proof... it also helps prevent the rubber seals from drying out or being affected by other contact...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

clouxles

Thanks All... The one thing the guy from the help desk mentioned unofficially, was to try some vaseline or similar... So far it's covered as time allows I'll play with it.
Mark D.
210 gallon 3 Ornate Bichirs, 1 Dhelezi Bichir, 1 Rope Fish, Black Ghost Knife, Royal Pleco, Fire Eel, Clown Loach, BN Pleco
125 gallon Elephant Nose, Rainbows, Gourami (Pearl - Blue) Plecos (BN & Clown)

Go big or go home... no more MTS for me

dan2x38

Vaseline is not good it a petroleum product so it will deteriorate the rubber after time...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."