Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fried Jager

Started by Saltcreep, June 21, 2007, 11:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saltcreep

Has anyone had bad experiences with Jager heaters? I put out the extra money for these heaters because they are supposed to be so much more reliable. I habitually touch my tanks with the back of my hand every time I pass them. With practice, you can nail the temp within a degree or two. A few weeks ago, I touched the smaller of my in-wall salt tanks and it was HOT, not warm, but HOT. I pulled the plug and dropped in a digital thermometer. The temperature was over 120 degrees F. Luckily, the tank was being prepared for new stock and all I boiled was a couple of Astrea snails. Naturally, the box it came in is long gone so warranty is not an issue. Actually, I can't remember where or when I bought this particular heater but, it was new.

Anyone else?

charlie

I`ve had a similar issue with Jager, it stuck on & boiled my tank, i lost plants & some livestock, quite like you i was replacing my visitherm stealth due to all the hype about jagers , incidental my stealths worked great & still do. I called Eheim customer service in Montreal & they promptly sent me a replacement ( i can say that their customer service ranks with the best out there).
Regards

babblefish1960

Wow, I am shocked to hear this, this is the sort of accident that would happen with the older style bimetal switch heaters, I thought new technology was past this sort of problem.

Like Charlie suggests, give Eheim a call, they should go good for it.

Saltcreep

Quote from: charlie on June 21, 2007, 11:48:11 AM
I called Eheim customer service in Montreal & they promptly sent me a replacement ( i can say that their customer service ranks with the best out there).
Regards

Well, I had pretty much discounted that as a waste of effort. Maybe not. Would you have that phone number maybe?

Saltcreep

Quote from: babblefish1960 on June 21, 2007, 11:51:39 AM
Wow, I am shocked to hear this, this is the sort of accident that would happen with the older style bimetal switch heaters, I thought new technology was past this sort of problem.

Like Charlie suggests, give Eheim a call, they should go good for it.

Precisely why I switched too. I thought the Jagers were solid state.

charlie

Quote from: Saltcreep on June 21, 2007, 11:54:38 AM
Well, I had pretty much discounted that as a waste of effort. Maybe not. Would you have that phone number maybe?
Try this # 514-624-2229
Good luck

Saltcreep

Achilles

Never trust a heater, I have had to many fail and have seen to many stories about people loosing a tank to a 50 heaters. Almost all heater can fall out of calibration. This is why I am investing in a controller. The one I am most likely going with is the Ranco check out link

http://www.diyreef.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=68&products_id=212

Right now I have no heaters running. I found in the summer months once the temp hits 8-10 c with my set up its farely stable.

limmer

Hi,
I contacted Eheim through email about a heater I had that did not work.  They had me send it to them for a replacement.  If you go to there site you can send thru there.

dan2x38

Quote from: Achilles on July 10, 2007, 03:39:05 PM
Never trust a heater, I have had to many fail and have seen to many stories about people loosing a tank to a 50 heaters. Almost all heater can fall out of calibration. This is why I am investing in a controller. The one I am most likely going with is the Ranco check out link

http://www.diyreef.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=68&products_id=212

Right now I have no heaters running. I found in the summer months once the temp hits 8-10 c with my set up its farely stable.

could never afford something like that for my FW set-ups... but thinking there must be a cheap way for a DIY shut-off for protection...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Saltcreep

Quote from: dan2x38 on July 11, 2007, 07:58:40 PM
could never afford something like that for my FW set-ups... but thinking there must be a cheap way for a DIY shut-off for protection...

Yep, should be very simple to set up a high heat limiter switch. Once the tank hit a certain temp, say 85F, the switch would cut power to the heater(s). A double-throw type switch could also turn on an alarm at the same time. My bet is there is probably just such a device already available, and likely not too expensive. Off to search I go ....