Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Picture of the soon-to-be new office tank

Started by murgus, June 25, 2007, 11:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murgus

I head back to work in 3 weeks after being off for 4.5 months on parental leave.  After spending so much time with the fish, I thought I'd like to take a bit of the aquatic world to the office with me.  Here is what I have come up with:

It's a 3 gallon tank (7" front-back, 11.5" tall, 13" wide) and very quiet.  Currently there are 4 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, a half dozen Cherry shrimp and a bunch of snails.  Unfortunately I don't remember the names of the plants!  There is a cute little algae ball floating around the top - I assume it will sink eventually??

Thanks to AttiTude for the great deal on the tank and to paleofishgirl for the amazing fish and fauna (and an even better deal!).

Andrew

babblefish1960

Give the algae ball a squish to get the air out of it, and it should sink fine.

Looks great, you should quite enjoy that on your desk, and it gives you something beautiful to concentrate on during those dull moments during work.

PaleoFishGirl

Wow, that driftwood really did fit in there! I had my doubts ;)

You have all sorts of plants in there - java moss, Anubias, a couple of different crypts that I don't remember the names of, Amazon frogbit, giant duckweed, some sort of chain sword that I don't remember the name of either... oh and an Aponogeton, though I don't see it in your pic... or is that it in the back right corner, looking slightly pruned?

Looks very nice! I'm sure it will make that office job a little more appealing :)

speckledmind

murgus

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on June 25, 2007, 12:26:07 PM
Wow, that driftwood really did fit in there! I had my doubts ;)

You have all sorts of plants in there - java moss, Anubias, a couple of different crypts that I don't remember the names of, Amazon frogbit, giant duckweed, some sort of chain sword that I don't remember the name of either... oh and an Aponogeton, though I don't see it in your pic... or is that it in the back right corner, looking slightly pruned?

Looks very nice! I'm sure it will make that office job a little more appealing :)

Yeah, I had my doubts too about it fitting - I had to take the top trim off as it has a frame that holds the internal filter.  Looks great in there though if I might be so bold!

Yup - that is the aponogeton in the back right, hopefully not too pruned ::)

Thanks again (especially for putting up with my daughter!)

Andrew

PaleoFishGirl

Thanks to her for putting up with us! She's such a sweetie!!

murgus

Since this tank has an integrated filter, I wasn't able to run it (the new filter) in my other FW tank to seed it.  I was however able to take a piece of the sponge and a handful of bio-rings from my established tank and put them in the filter section of the new tank.  For various reasons I could not put the new fish and plants into the established tank while I cycled the new one from scratch...

I think this should be okay - thoughts? 

Thanks,
Andrew

az

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

gvv

Very nice!
I think I should put a piece of drifwood into my office tank as well...

Regards

RoxyDog

looks nice.  :)
I have the 5gal version sitting on the desk beside me, I seeded it the same way, should be fine.  watch out for the algae ball, PFG told me to keep turning mine, I didn't, and voila hair algae everywhere!
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

fischkopp

cute little setup - very calming!
was nice to meet you!

Robert
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

murgus

Quote from: RoxyDog on June 25, 2007, 01:51:05 PM
looks nice.  :)
I have the 5gal version sitting on the desk beside me, I seeded it the same way, should be fine.  watch out for the algae ball, PFG told me to keep turning mine, I didn't, and voila hair algae everywhere!

That's good to know - in all the chaos at PFG's house yesterday I neglected to ask about specific care for the thing (I had never seen one before).

Now I just need to find a good snail to put in it, something maybe purple!

Andrew

murgus

Quote from: fischkopp on June 25, 2007, 02:10:38 PM
cute little setup - very calming!
was nice to meet you!

Robert

Thanks Robert, it was good to meet you too!  Good luck with your new 10 gallon (did you get the large algae ball??).

Andrew

fischkopp

Good luck with your new 10 gallon (did you get the large algae ball??).

Thanx, we actually took 2x 10g with us  :D  -  together with this HUGE algae ball   ;D  It directly went into our cherry shrimps tank and made everybody in there very excited
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

plecoL83

Mettle

I use the 2 gal versions of this tank for my bettas. Very nice.

I also have the 3 gal version like yours sitting in my basement right now brand new and unopened. But I think I promised it to my mother for her desk at work? Can never remember these things properly. Lol.

bettabreeder

murgus

The office tank has been moved in and everything seems to be surviving - although I did loose a WCMM last week so I am down to 3.  So far reaction has been positive :D

Even with all the plants I am still paranoid about algae and having people complain - would it be okay to add an SAE or otto?  It's a 3 gallon with 3 WCMM and a bunch of cherry shrimp.

Thanks,
Andrew

babblefish1960

Definitely no to the Siamese algae eater, your tank is way too small and that becomes a larger fish that needs a few others of its own kind and likes lots of water flow. The otocinclus would be fine, but they are better in small groups. As the tank is so small, I would leave it as it is and not overfeed.