Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Building your own tank

Started by Zoe, June 26, 2007, 09:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe

I've been sort of considering doing this for my small SW tank, because I can't really find anything in dimensions that I like.
How hard is it? From what I've read online, it seems pretty easy, but I'd like the opinion of someone who has done it before :)

veron

well, its not really that easy and its more affordable to buy a tank anywere from a 180g and under. IMO, not worth it.
I've built and rebuilt 3 tanks.

Zoe

Well, it's more about dimensions than anything for me. I mean obviously I don't want it to cost a fortune, but unless it's a LOT more expensive or really difficult, I'd like to try.
But if it's not that easy, then dangit. Oh well ;)  I guess I'm stuck with normal sizes.

veron

what dimensions are we talking about? if its odd shapes then the difficulty just went up. ordering glass is $$$$$$$$$$
you leave yourself open to possible tank leakage or even worse.
seriously, its not worth it. theres so many tank sizes/shapes available that to build is more a pain than a plessure. now.. if your talking large tanks then thats different but left to the experienced.
I built my 500g, leaked 2 times before I got it right. one was not myfault [bad silicone]

percula99

Have you thought of building it out of plywood? See the picture below. I wanted a sump under my tank with a very specific size limitation and could not find a glass tank that would fit and getting someone to build it in acrylic was too expensive. So I built mine out of plywood. Had it for two years now with no leaks.

180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..

dan2x38

Quote from: percula99 on June 26, 2007, 11:24:16 AM
Have you thought of building it out of plywood? See the picture below. I wanted a sump under my tank with a very specific size limitation and could not find a glass tank that would fit and getting someone to build it in acrylic was too expensive. So I built mine out of plywood. Had it for two years now with no leaks.

so you built the frame then lined it with what?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Zoe

I'm not talking big or odd... just a rectangle that I can't find in a normal, nice looking tank... 18W x 16H x 14D

percula99

dan2x38 I built it with plywood then primed it with an oil based primer. I painted it with Klenk's two part epoxy (see link below. I did not buy it at The Home Depot but another paint store in Ottawa). I put three coats on. After it cured I bought some aquarium silicone from Home Hardware and sealed up all the joints. I also siliconed in the glass front and the glass baffles. I also put wood tape on the exposed edges of the plywood and sealed the plywood with three coats ofVarythane.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=942967&Ntt=942967&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=level1
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..

dan2x38

Quote from: percula99 on June 26, 2007, 01:04:08 PM
dan2x38 I built it with plywood then primed it with an oil based primer. I painted it with Klenk's two part epoxy (see link below. I did not buy it at The Home Depot but another paint store in Ottawa). I put three coats on. After it cured I bought some aquarium silicone from Home Hardware and sealed up all the joints. I also siliconed in the glass front and the glass baffles. I also put wood tape on the exposed edges of the plywood and sealed the plywood with three coats ofVarythane.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=942967&Ntt=942967&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=level1

that is a great idea! how many gallons is yours?
Voltaire:

percula99

The sump holds about 65 gallons full, about 35 during normal operation.

mila

Quote from: Zoe on June 26, 2007, 11:59:34 AM
I'm not talking big or odd... just a rectangle that I can't find in a normal, nice looking tank... 18W x 16H x 14D

Zoe,
This size is not hard to build, you need just 1/4" or 6mm glass, silicon, tape and 2 clumps.

SuperT

Quote from: Mila on June 26, 2007, 06:31:42 PM
Zoe,
This size is not hard to build, you need just 1/4" or 6mm glass, silicon, tape and 2 clumps.

I don't know what I would use the clumps for, but I bet I would prefer to have two clamps.   ;D

Zoe

How much do you think that would cost me, Mila? Keeping in mind that I don't have any silicone or clamps already... I'd have to buy them.

mila

Quote from: Zoe on June 26, 2007, 07:27:19 PM
How much do you think that would cost me, Mila? Keeping in mind that I don't have any silicone or clamps already... I'd have to buy them.
I don't know price of glass, you can buy salvage in some glass shops, they charge for cutting, too.
Silicone is $5 at HD, if you don't have clamps, use tape to hold it together. Clamps just works better.

Zoe

Masking or duct?  And how do I get the angles to be perfectly 90 degrees?

mila

Masking tape, it is easy to remove.
It will be at 90 if you use solid flat surface to work on.

Zoe

Right on... any suggestions for glass shops I could go to? I went to a place last week to get a small piece cut, and they took 3 days to do it and charged me $20. F^#%ers.

mila

I go to 2447 Kaladar av. just because it is close, you have to find shop where they sell salvage glass. It is usually half price.

dan2x38

Quote from: Zoe on June 26, 2007, 09:01:42 PM
Masking or duct?  And how do I get the angles to be perfectly 90 degrees?

Use some wood and make a jig... can use nylon cord or bungee cords to hold it together too... use a block of wood between all 4 sides so it does not bow and break... pulling off duct tape might weaken the joints it sticks very well and it is hard to clean the duct tape adhesive off...
Voltaire:

fender316

Quote from: Zoe on June 26, 2007, 09:59:09 PM
Right on... any suggestions for glass shops I could go to? I went to a place last week to get a small piece cut, and they took 3 days to do it and charged me $20. F^#%ers.

the glass shop i think its called, off clyde and carling.  they probably would have charged you 5$, i've been really pleased with them, and always do it that afternoon.  gonna call them tomorrow for a price on 3ft by 6ft tank glass 1/2 thick.