Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

where can i find infusoria?

Started by bettabreeder, June 29, 2007, 01:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettabreeder

I am breeding betta splendens and I heard that infusoria is good for fry. unfourtunatly i can't find infusoria. where can i find some?

babblefish1960

Well, not to be a spoiler, but I am sure it is infusoria you are looking for, and it is already in your tank. Most serious breeders do not clean off the glass as some might, as it is covered in the stuff, and fry can eat it as they find it, everywhere in the tank.

I use sponge filters in my fry raising situations, and I do not clean them, the fry just peck away at the sponge until such time as it needs to be replaced. They do seem to make the sponge material disappear over time.

You can't really buy it, farm it in any collectible way, one simply needs to stop cleaning everything to such a barren and sterile way.

Zoe

Yup, you can find it in your tank.  I've used java moss, and it's a great way collect it.  I just took clumps of java moss (and other plants, too) from my established tanks and let the babies pick at it.
I also let the algae run wild in my baby tank. I scraped it off the front, of course, but the back wall was just covered in it - it looked like the back wall of the tank was a furry green monster... and the babies were always picking at it.

If you want to cultivate it yourself, you can - take a glass jar, fill it with tank water, a piece of boiled potato, and some plant juice (take some java moss and squeeze it, so the water from it runs into the jar).  Let the jar sit in the sun for a week, and it should be full of infusoria. It shouldn't stink, if it does, chuck it and try again. There's some info online if you google "how to make infusioria" or something along those lines.

I still feed mostly live baby brine shrimp, though.  The infusoria for my babies was there so they could snack between meals of bbs.

BigDaddy

People will "grow" infusoria cultures by taking a piece of lettuce and putting it in a mason jar with some tank water.  After a bit, it should go cloudy and be teaming with infusiorians

Here's a good article, from a website that is actually a great source of info on live foods:

http://www.livefoodcultures.com/microcultures.html#infusoria

dan2x38

first how do you pronounce - infusoria? could you post the phonic spelling?

I was told an apple snail helps create infusoria... is that so?

I am trying my first effort at breeding... it is with the CPD... they will need it... not breeding them for profits but to perserve them...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Zoe

inf-you-z-oh-ree-ah
It looks silly, but does that make sense? It's how I pronounce it... I think its right.

Zoe

dan2x38

Quote from: Zoe on June 29, 2007, 03:24:24 PM
This is what dictionary.com says:

in-fyoo-sawr-ee-uh

TANKs when I drop of plant pronounce it for me...  :-[ slow on the up take...  :o
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."