Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

snails

Started by Super Steve, June 29, 2007, 09:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Steve

I've got a big snail about the size of my fist and it hasn't moved in a couple days and is totally unresponsive, how long should i leave it in there before i call it ?
Can it hurt to have a dead snail in your tank ?

BigDaddy

Yes, it can hurt, as the decomposing snail will increase ammonia in the tank.

If it literally has not moved for a few days, it is likely toast.

fishycanuck

If it's the kind with the trap door, try pulling on it. A healthy snail will resist.
It might be just pining for the fjords...

Crumpet

In addition to the trap door test, a dead snail will usually have a very bad odour.  If it really stinks, he's probably gone,
"pining for the fjords" as fishcanuck says.

mseguin

really bad odor is an understatement, dead snail is one of the rankest smells on earth

beowulf

Quote from: mseguin on June 30, 2007, 09:40:14 AM
really bad odor is an understatement, dead snail is one of the rankest smells on earth

Amen brother!!!  No way to mistake it.

Laura

As they said - if you gently tug on the trapdoor and there is resistance, then it's alive.  You can't mistake the dead snail smell too.

Which tank do you have it in?  They will often hole-up if fish are picking on them.  Is it a new addition?

Also, if it's a new addition and it hasn't passed on, don't forget to feed the big fella - from the sound of it, it must be a cana, so it will eat anything - but does very well on high calcium veggies.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Super Steve

Took your advice and harrassed it for a while but accidentally dropped him on the kitchen floor and chipped a good chunk off of his shell, so i thought he was a gonner for sure but for 20$ i thought i'd give him one more chance cause it seemed as though he was trying to keep his little trap door closed and he didn't stink too too bad.(Living snails don't smell that great either!)

Sure enough he moved overnight, go figure!

He's been in there for about a month now, how long should it take before he starts cleaning my tank?

babblefish1960

It is a shame you dropped the snail, broken shells should be repaired. What tank do you have him in and what fish are with him in that tank? And quite frankly, what manner of snail did you purchase that cost $20?

If you think he smells bad living, just wait until he dies, you will understand what stink actually means.

As for cleaning your tank, what do you mean, many snails do different things, and we really need to know what sort of snail you purchased to even begin to help.

If it has tentacles and tubes, it will likely do nothing it is supposed to if it is being harassed by fish, additionally, depending once more on what it is, your snail will need some specific food.

Laura

Did you get one of the big cana snails at Little Critters?
Do some research at applesnail.net.  They need their own food and will starve if you don't give them greens and suchlike.  There are lots of food suggestion by the fine folks at that website.  Canas are particularly piggy and will eat nearly anything.
Also, there are tips on repairing chipped shells - take a look...
700 gal pond - Rosy reds