Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

help!!! my gouramis bubbles wont stick!!

Started by bettabreeder, June 30, 2007, 08:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettabreeder

i am breeding gouramis and the female has lots of eggs. unfourtunatly the male has tried to make a bubble nest but the bubbles wont stick. what gives? i would like to know.

dan2x38

If it helps I used some water sprite and floated it... he made a great bubble nest but my female did not lay the eggs... :( if you want you can have some... or can have some duckweed... even both...  ;D let me know I got lots of both...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

kennyman

mine used a pile of Java fern he pulled off the bottom to hold his nest together. Does he have small bits of plants to build the nest with?

Toss

I used floating riccia. It is perfect for them and the fry. It is thick, holds the bubbles and it doesn't break apart like duckweed. Try not to have any water movement (including surface) at all in that corner. If it is gourami only tank, let the tank goes dirty, don't do water change, don't run any filter and the most important... don't overfeed them. I know their natural water condition very well. I used to catch them for food :)
Good luck :)
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

plecoL83

I read where someone just took a stick (cured) and stuck it in the gravel  so it came above the water and then the gourami built his bubble nest attached to that. Then there's the stirofoam cup that is another option.

bettabreeder

thx forthe feedbak i had most of the stuff that you sugested in my tank and just this morning he built his bubble nest.

dan2x38

Quote from: bettabreeder on July 01, 2007, 12:19:30 PM
thx forthe feedbak i had most of the stuff that you sugested in my tank and just this morning he built his bubble nest.

be nice to see them spawn... could you post a pic? what are your water conditions? like I said can get the nest but female won't drop her eggs... :(
Voltaire:

bettabreeder

i will try to get a pic as soon as i find my camera :-[ but ill try.

plecoL83

Yeah Ièd like to see some pics too, make sure you find that camera fast  ;)

bettabreeder

good news i found my camera and all i need is to find the software for it but im sure i have it somewhere and ill get the pics on soon. i also have some good pics of my bettas.

gonna_b_no_1

I had bred my neon blue dwarf gouramis.  Here is a video of the spawning on utube :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lx0pSzTo-4

dan2x38

Quote from: gonna_b_no_1 on July 06, 2007, 08:02:15 AM
I had bred my neon blue dwarf gouramis.  Here is a video of the spawning on utube :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lx0pSzTo-4

what were your water parameters, temps, tank size, decorations, plants, etc.?

BettaBreeder- I am pruning and throwing out some water sprite... it floats and is great for bubble nests... yours if you want, I'll bag it & tag it or a day...
Voltaire:

gonna_b_no_1

Bare 10g tank with NO decorations save for some floating plants (minimal amount) and a rock where female could hide behind if need be.

just a very small sponge filter running with bare minimum air flow

7.2 ph
temp was just room temperature...70-72 maybe...

umm..duckweed was the plant of choice if i can remember well and some guppy grass

Left the male alone in there for a week with  minimal feedings of bloodworms (1 at a time to not foul up water)

Females were left in my community tank where i fed bloodworms daily and flake.  Once I'd notice one going gravid she'd go in with the male. 

dan2x38

Quote from: gonna_b_no_1 on July 06, 2007, 10:44:40 AM
Bare 10g tank with NO decorations save for some floating plants (minimal amount) and a rock where female could hide behind if need be.

just a very small sponge filter running with bare minimum air flow

7.2 ph
temp was just room temperature...70-72 maybe...

umm..duckweed was the plant of choice if i can remember well and some guppy grass

Left the male alone in there for a week with  minimal feedings of bloodworms (1 at a time to not foul up water)

Females were left in my community tank where i fed bloodworms daily and flake.  Once I'd notice one going gravid she'd go in with the male. 

TANKs
Voltaire:

bettabreeder

good news my gouramis spawned but i missed it :(. i only noticed because i saw some fry near the nest.

dan2x38

very KEWL I love gaouramis... :) have to get you a cigar Poppa
Voltaire: