Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Modification for Power Sweep

Started by porcupinepuffer, July 02, 2007, 12:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupinepuffer

So almost all of us who've used the zoomed powersweep powerheads have concluded that they truly suck big time. Just like many other reefers, mine would work fine for the first 3 months, and then immediately stop sweeping. I thoroughly cleaned mine out to new condition, only to watch it sweep all the way to right, and not come back... So I had enough! I took it out, decided to rip this bad boy apart again. I noticed this is a poor design, a good chunk of waterflow is able to just pass over the sweep mechanism, (easily allowing the sweep motion to quit). An another note, this powerhead has a fairly large impeller, with a lot of restriction, starting from the intake, right down to the moment it leaves the powerhead...

I'm posting pictures of this modification I did afew days ago. This was on the larger 228 model, should work the same with the smaller models. To my total amazement, this powerhead is now dishing out anywhere between 800-1200 GPH. Not LPH. Gallons! Another nice thing about this, is that the powerhead is now extremely compact. About half the size of my seio 1100.

First thing I did was completely remove the whole powersweeping section of this powerhead altogether. (why keep it? it doesn't WORK!)
I used a fine toothed hand saw, to do some of the big cutting, and any little cutting was done with a utility knife, with a good, sharp blade.
I also cut out the screen bars from the intake right off(as I had this fancy larger screen intake laying around, that happens to fit nicely over the intake)This other screen I have (which you can see pictured in the first picture) allows for more flow to enter the powerhead, but still keeps my powerhead from sucking up fish and anemones. And this powerhead has a very strong suction after this mod.
I also enlarged the opening over the secondary intake, to allow for more water flow to enter the impeller. This required me to also modify the flow adjustment knob to no longer play a role with this powerhead...
One note of caution: you must be very careful when modifying this secondary intake, as this contains the plastic bracket that holds the lower end of the impeller shaft, you do not want to break this.
I didn't enlarge the out take of this powerhead, but this can probably be done to give a more disperse flow, and might even increase the flow, yet again...
I pretty much used common sense with how to make this powerhead work more efficiently. Hopefully you can do the same, instead of throwing these in the garbage.

[attachment deleted by admin]

babblefish1960

A most excellent idea, it certainly makes it more useful than throwing away. Have you considered approaching zoo-med to see if they would talk about why their sweep mechanism is so failure prone? After the first few I purchased years ago when they came out, I was sufficiently put off by them to never consider them again, should you come up with a solution for the sweep, they may be listening, and those jaded few may be back on board for something that works.

porcupinepuffer

When I took it apart, I was hoping for a way to improve the sweep. But they made it very difficult to come up with a way. I was trying to figure a way to possibly resist the water flow from having an easy escape around the sweeping paddles, and really force the water to have to rotate this, but it was too difficult. The inside of it has so many restrictive areas that the water flow has to go around, it really wasn't engineered very well. And it has a fairly large impeller inside. I figured it would be capable of really throwing the water, to which it can.

Alchemist

Good to know. Mine's been going strong now for 6 months without any problems but if it does conc out I'll hack it to bits.  Incidentally, did you have the foam block insert on the intake when you were using it?  I do but I can see how it could be a nitrate disaster waiting to happen.

kennyman

That cover on the intake is a brilliant idea. I have one of those from an unused penguin hob that would have saved me one clown fish. I never thought of it.

Thanks for posting your ideas here. I may give this try as my zoocrud is laying in the fish cupboard due to the same issues you had.

porcupinepuffer

I used to have that foam pad thing on there before, but I took it off becuase I got sick of always cleaning it, and for the nitrate issue it could start causing me.

sniggir

very cool mod... I got talked out of buying one cause of this problem... to bad cause would be great if they worked properly... but know you found a cheaper powerful pump!

nice work
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

soundwave2k

I just did this mod about a half an hour ago and assembled it all including the sweep gears.  It sweeps, stops, sweeps, then stops kind of in a random motion.  Really kind of works better than it is supposed to.  Also, I really see a huge difference in output.  It's about 8 inches from the top of my 75 and when it points to the glass from the back to the front, it throws fairly large ripples at the surface from bouncing off the front glass.  Awesome mod.  Thanks a ton!

gvv

Quote from: soundwave2k on July 13, 2007, 12:07:58 AM
It sweeps, stops, sweeps, then stops kind of in a random motion.  Really kind of works better than it is supposed to.
I thought the whole sweeping section should be gone... ???
Did I understand it correctly?

Regards

soundwave2k

I went ahead and took the whole sweep section off and did basically what was instructed.  This is actually pretty incredible.  Never thought I'd see wave motion from a power sweep. 

soundwave2k

OK. A note to anyone doing this...  Take baby steps.  I fully modified two of these for my 75 gallon tank and fired them up.  There was, actually, too strong of a current.  My sailfin tang suffered a few small tears in his dorsal fin. :'(  I used some super glue and some left over plastic to block the intake and it made a huge difference.  I was not aware how much water these things could really push.  By opening the intake just a little more than stock, there is a light, breezy look to the tank, now.  Still a great mod, but, just don't over do it.

Live and Learn.

kennyman

I drilled two holes in the front to try and disperse the outflow but I don't think it did much. I am still glad I tried. Thanks again PPP for sharing your idea. I opened the intake much less than shown and still have huge flow! It keeps up with my seio 820 and then some. But the flow pattern is not as dispeared as a purpose built unit.

I can see why you aimed it at the side of the tank   :o

jhull_73

This makes me want to go get one and cut it up. How does it compare to the Maximod. I have tried the maxi 1200 with the dumas 3004 prop, it moves alot of water.