Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

care for snails

Started by dan2x38, July 02, 2007, 02:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

very informative link... still not sure how to tell 100% if my new snail is, 'Pomacea bridgesi' or not... added him to my new PPD tank hopefully to help feed any fry if I can get them to hatch out... as I understand from that site the, 'Pomacea bridgesi' do not eat the live plants... right?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

rXcanadensis

No they don't, well not normally... It also depends on what kind of plants you have... If it's java ferns it won't touch it!

beowulf

Quote from: rXcanadensis on July 02, 2007, 03:55:15 PM
No they don't, well not normally... It also depends on what kind of plants you have... If it's java ferns it won't touch it!

Don't agree, I had one in an African tank in which the only plant was java fern and he ate it all even though I gave him a couple of algae wafers morning and night and he ate those also.

Laura

Brigs don't tend to eat plants (but mine eat duckweed), but they don't get as big as the one you have.  If they're that size, then I'm quite sure that it's a cana and not a brig.
Canas eat anything, and will eat live plants.  I got one once by accident before I could tell the difference and it turned my tank into a buffet.
The easiest way to tell the difference is the spire on a cana is quite flat more like a cinnamon bun, while a brig has 'steps' on it's spire.
I have brigs, and they love cooked dark veggies (kale, bok choy, dandelion) and suchlike.  The canas mouths can handle eating the veggies fresh, while the brigs need their food softned.
I think the snail (or any kind of snail) may eat your eggs before they can hatch, although they are good for providing infusoria for fry tanks.  Also, how big is your PPD tank?  A cana of that size needs at least 5 gallons for its own bioload IMO.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

dan2x38

Quote from: Laura on July 02, 2007, 04:55:00 PM
Also, how big is your PPD tank?  A cana of that size needs at least 5 gallons for its own bioload IMO.

The tanks is a 5.5... His sprials are not flat but raised like a top (the kids toy)... got it for infusoria got tons of java fern in there the eggs should fall in deep enough?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

washefuzzy

Quote from: beowulf on July 02, 2007, 04:18:42 PM
Don't agree, I had one in an African tank in which the only plant was java fern and he ate it all even though I gave him a couple of algae wafers morning and night and he ate those also.
How big was your snail? Maybe I'm not feeding mine enough!

Laura

Quote from: dan2x38 on July 02, 2007, 06:12:33 PM
The tanks is a 5.5... His sprials are not flat but raised like a top (the kids toy)... got it for infusoria got tons of java fern in there the eggs should fall in deep enough?
Hey Dan - I got confused and mixed up on the thread's author -  I thought the giant cana was in a 5 gallon.  I don't want to thread-jack Supersteve's post so I'll pm you directly.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds