Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Gravel...not the stuff from the pet shop

Started by Fishnut, July 03, 2007, 01:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

I was wondering if anyone has any experience buying or using gravel or sand from places like landscaping companies.  I remember a long time ago I got my hands on a massive bag of silicate sand for what I remember to be next to nothing.  It only took 2 bags to put 3" of gravel in a 130 gallon tank.  Is the sand used in playgrounds safe for aquarium use, or the small river rocks?

Anyways, if anyone has an experience (good or bad) to share, that would be great...especially if you know where to get it.  ;D

SuperT

I'm using river stone (Ritchie seed and feed up to 2 1/2") and a couple of bags of white sand used to fill the gap in between pavers from Home Depot.  Seems to be working for me. 

Here is a picture of the tank (although its a few months old - I can take a more up to date picture if you like).

Terry

http://ovas.ca/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=703

Fishnut

So the PH or hardness hasn't changed at all?   

Saltcreep

Quote from: Fishnut on July 03, 2007, 01:35:05 PM
So the PH or hardness hasn't changed at all?   

I usually buy the stuff from Wal*Mart because it tends to be a little smaller. Actually, I try to bring some back when I'm in Florida. It's $2.69 USD for a 20Kg bag. Since it is mostly granite and small bits of quartz, I doubt it will have much effect on pH or hardness. I've been using it for years with no problems.

kennyman

I have worked in the landscape and horticulture industry for over 10 years and there are a variety of products available that I feel would work fine.

I would concider Washed Peastone to be the most suitable as an inert media. 1/2" and under. usually around $6 for a 20 kg bag. It sounds like the same stuff Saltcreep is talking about.

I have only ever bought River Rock by the ton and it tends to be quite large, but it sounds like Super T found some that is screened much smaller. Mostly it tends to be around 4". I used to let people pick at the pile for a pail of smaller stuff sometimes though  ::)

DerekPruder

I have sand in my tank.. I have tried play sand and found that you really need yo clean the sand before putting it inside the tank, there is alot of clay in it.  I found that going to a pool store and buying pool filter sand work the best i didnt clean it just put the sand it the tank filled with water and in a few hours the tank was clear.  Hope this helps

SuperT

Ritchies has 50lb bags (various sizes - from pea to huge) and the sand is stone mason decor sand and usually sells for 8 bucks a bag (22k - I believe).  My PH hasn't changed and is still running around 6.6 to 6.8 (have the same sand in the discus tank - stays pretty white although at first it looked rather messy).  As for hardness I've never tested.

I feel I should add a disclaimer....this is working for me (knock on wood).  The tanks, fish, plants, shrimp are all healthy and get regular water changes (with the occasional bout (sp?) of forgetfullness....since I am getting older.  Every two weeks on the 75 and every 7 - 9 days on the discus tank and weekly on the reef).  Everyone will do things differently and swear by it and there are hobbyist that wouldn't touch the things I have in my tanks with a 10 foot pole.

Hopefully whatever you decide will work for you and your inhabitants.

Terry

PoisonJello

i started out with just using pea size river rock cost $6 for 60LB size is around 1/4" and smaller some a bit bigger but i picked out the larger ones...i washed it all then baked them for 30 minutes at 400 degrees on cookie sheets just to make sure

rocks or sand just rinse good, hot water would be best if you don't want to bake it (thats just my opinion but i know many that use the cheap stuff ;).)

Glouglou

Anything that you find out there is cool until no dangerous chemical leaching or contamination occurs. Beware of stuff that will change your water parameter. Some precaution should be take to eliminate any undesirable organics in  natural substrat and decor (sterilization should be apply) Personally I use some riversand that I only clean up in freshwater.
Testing by immersing what you want to used in distill water, for some time,  to detect any changes in the water parameters or uses of a strong acid like acid muriatic (used to clean cement and bricks) to observe any reaction (foaming) that will indicate probably a change overtime to your tank water parameter (Kh, gh)