Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

dead alge eaters??!!

Started by bettabreeder, July 03, 2007, 05:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettabreeder

today i bought some alge eaters and when i put them into the tank they were fine. then 20 minutes later they died. i did the water temperature adjustments like your supposed to do( float the bag for 20 minutes then add a little bit of the tank water to the bag). why did they die? i would like to know.

babblefish1960

What sort of algae eaters were they specifically, what is the age and size of the tank as it is set up presently, and what is the state of your nitrites in the tank. And of course, do you use a dechloraminator in your water?

bettabreeder

i havent ran a test on my water levels. tank age is about 1 year old. i had fish in it for a week they are fine. i put some gouramis in it today they are fine. it was just plain algae eaters and siamese algae eaters. i always use aqua plus, cycle, and some other fish water conditioner.

bettabreeder

oh and i just picked them up today. all of them.

babblefish1960

As I understand your reply, the tank has been set up for one week?  If I misunderstood you, please clarify, however, you have probably had some sort of spike with nitrIte, and perhaps even high levels of nitrAte, come to think of it, you may be having toxic levels of ammonia too.

These are tested easily enough, but the fish that perished, did so quickly, and this points to water problems in these areas, that ans poisoning. As your gouramis are fine, I would tend to a spike, as the gouramis are anabantoids, or labyrinth fish, which is to say that they get their oxygen at the surface. The algae eaters are more sensitive, and do not suffer these problems well.

Do some testing, and resist adding any more fish until you are certain what the problem is, and what the conditions are. Just my advice.

beowulf

Quote from: bettabreeder on July 03, 2007, 08:50:40 PM
i havent ran a test on my water levels. tank age is about 1 year old. i had fish in it for a week they are fine. i put some gouramis in it today they are fine. it was just plain algae eaters and siamese algae eaters. i always use aqua plus, cycle, and some other fish water conditioner.

Is the tank one year or one week old?

bettabreeder

the tank has been setup for a week but i have had it for a year.

KLKelly

I really hope you invest in test kits or get your water tested for free at a local fish store.

Cycling is very hard on fish and the water is actually toxic through the first month and lots of water changes are needed.  When my tank was cycling I had to do 50% water changes every day to keep ammonia below toxic levels (in combination with using Prime water conditioner every day).

I was an absolute newbie (first fish ever) when I learned about cycling the hard way....this article helps explain the process:  http://thegab.org/Articles/WaterQualityCycling.html.  Please read it.  There is a ton of information on the web that can provide information as well.

bettabreeder

ya i was thimking of bringing in some of the water into super pet.

PoisonJello

well this site can definiately help you if your fairly new to the hobby, sorry to here about your fish but you should be able to get them replaced for free if you got them at a LFS...you will need to bring the dead bodies back to the store with your bill

testing your water is important for many reasons but some of those test kits are expensive..its nice that some places will test it for free

bettabreeder

i did take them back to LFC and the new ones died so i just stopped getting them replaced. i did a 100% water change and the fish are a lot happier. :)

KLKelly

After you posted you got new algae eaters and they also died?

dan2x38

Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

bettabreeder

yes to the new dead algae eaters and no to the water testing

Laura

Your tank is still in the very early stages of cycling.  You need to read up on it as it's vital to keeping healthy fish - there are many discussions of it here and online.

Lots of water changes in the interim would help your fish by keeping toxic levels down.  Here's a post that includes my favourite explanation of cycling by luvfishies http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=11389.msg88788#msg88788

Grungy filter material will help a tank cycle faster by introducing the bacteria right to your filter.  I'm downtown and you are welcome to a grungy filter sponge if you want one - there are members in Barrhaven and you can always post a 'LF (looking for)' post on the classifieds.

Until your tank is cycled, do not add any new fish and keep up the water changes.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

KLKelly

I am kind of confused as to why you asked for advice but didn't take any of it.  Multiple people noted that it could be a water issue (even just a difference in ph between store and home) and to get your water tested.  It could be done for free at a fish store.  You didn't do this and more fish died.  I think if you are going to be a good caretaker to your fish - your member name - makes me believe you will be breeding fish - that you should take the advice given and start learning about water quality.  Sorry if I sound harsh.  I do wish you the best with your fish.

bettabreeder

Quote from: KLKelly on July 07, 2007, 02:43:29 PM
I am kind of confused as to why you asked for advice but didn't take any of it.  Multiple people noted that it could be a water issue (even just a difference in ph between store and home) and to get your water tested.  It could be done for free at a fish store.  You didn't do this and more fish died.  I think if you are going to be a good caretaker to your fish - your member name - makes me believe you will be breeding fish - that you should take the advice given and start learning about water quality.  Sorry if I sound harsh.  I do wish you the best with your fish.

no problems, i didnt have the time to get my water tested or changed  :-[ (i was at a friends house at the time that most of this happened)