Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Let's Talk 'Celestial Pearl Danios' or 'Galaxy Rasbora'

Started by dan2x38, July 05, 2007, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vizerdrix

I got my reply today Dan, and they are farm raised in Asia!  So I guess we have another bloodline in Ottawa now! :D

dan2x38

Well tomorrow it will be official will have shut down all my CPD breeding tanks. Tonight I moved out some Rosy Barbs & SAEs from my main planted display tank in the living room. That was a brutal task!  >:( Tomorrow morning will be adding in my 10 remaining wild caught CPDs to that tank. I still have a large batch growing out.

Preparing for my new breeding project... stay tunned... I'll add to this thread regarding how the CPDs fit into their new home.  :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Buckshot

Hey thanks dan i have had sucess breeding the ones i got from you. They have now been added to the species tank. Please keep me informed on when you are selling from your last batch. Thanks again and good luck with the species.

dan2x38

Quote from: Buckshot on March 19, 2008, 10:11:58 PM
Hey thanks dan i have had sucess breeding the ones i got from you. They have now been added to the species tank. Please keep me informed on when you are selling from your last batch. Thanks again and good luck with the species.

The new trio bred? :)
Voltaire:

dan2x38

Yes I read that. A lot of fish have had multiply name changes.

My wild caught were in their own 20g in the living room but in the far corner; originally. I had little chance to appreciate them. Then they spent the rest of their time in tanks upstairs in my fishroom.

I wanted to get tank bred CPDs spread out around Ottawa so less or no wild caught are sold. Also I sold off 3 trios of my WC so others can bred into the strain with theirs. With the ones growing out now I will have raised  approx. 400. Only problem I've not really got to enjoy them. Now it's my turn... :)

Now with them in my main planted display tank in the living room I can really enjoy them. With the multi coloured plants the CPD's colours are so striking! I have 10 WC in there they are all swimming nicely on display. Plus I am pleased with my over all results! :)

If ever anyone has any questions I will try to help the best I can. Every little bit helps... it is only when I say, "Nothing I can do" that I am helpless! A drop in a bucket eventually fills the bucket. ;)
Voltaire:

dan2x38

Update on the move of my last 10 wild caughts. They love their new home in my main planted display tank in the living room. I thought I'd rarely see them but not so they are always out and about. They chase each other from time to time swimming amongst the plants. I was worried they'd not get enough food... yeah right these guys are in there like dirty shirts at feeding time. They are competing with: 5 banded barbs, triple red apistogramma cacatuoides, rosy tetras, yoyo loaches, peppered cories, & a bristle nose. They put the run to any one of them for a scrap of food. Even while swimming they run off others.

I wouldn't put them in with larger fish but I think they will pretty much hold their own with most tetras, smaller SA chiclids, some barbs plus the smaller bottom feeders: fancy plecos, cories, peaceful loaches, etc. But only in a well planted tanks. This tank is on the soft acidic side because it has CO2 injection. Having raised these guys for while I've seen their hardiness. I did use a dripline for 3 hours to acclimate them to this tank though.

A great addition to any community tank from pH 6.5-7.5, GH 2-10, KH 2-10 clean water well planted. They can survive from at least 68 (maybe lower) to at least 78 likely 80 or more but not tested this. Still have a great passion for these little characters.
Voltaire:

dan2x38

Thought I'd update this thread once again.

I could not stay away from breeding my favorate little cuties... :) So I tried to breed my wild caught again. I moved 3 females into my spawning tank. Then 1 male into a separate tank to condition them both. After a week put them together. 4-5 days later removed them but no fry this was a first. :o I added the CPDs back to my display tank. Slowly each of them died off. I lost others from my black-out too. I am down to 3 remaining wild caughts... :( Not risking moving them.

I am thinking now their life span is close to 2 years that is about the age of mine. I am also thinking they are only capable of breeding for a certain time period. No proof just a guess from my experience dealing with them.

Well fear I loss the strain I took 4 females from my F1s and conditioned them for a week. Then added 2 males after conditioning them for a week. Left them together for about 4 days. Now I wait to see if I get some G1s?

Will post an update.
Voltaire:

Dorrie

Cool! This is such a great little fish, and such a worthy breeding effort, do keep us posted!
After a few bumps, mine are hopefully doing well *fingers crossed* so I'd love to for the breeding to conitnue to get more and maybe one day find a few babies in my tank too ;)

Fishnut

Oh Dear!!  I have been wasting time with my clan.  OK, this weekend, I'm completing my breeding set-up.

BTW, the trio I bought from you is doing fabulously Dan.

dan2x38

Quote from: Fishnut on August 12, 2008, 12:56:07 PM
BTW, the trio I bought from you is doing fabulously Dan.

Try to breed them. Condition them then put them together. They are some of the last in that strain. I only have three males wild caughts left from my original ones. The rest are all F1s.

Sylvia do you have a couple females in your wild caughts I can borrow or buy? Start a 2nd stronger F1 strain.
Voltaire:

Fishnut

Nope, all my females are with the males.  I even substituted one of my F1's to complete a trio.

dan2x38

Yeah Freakin' Whoooo!

To keep my strain alive I conditioned some F1 CPDs I breed. Today I discovered 3 new fry G1s! :)

That is great because I sold the last of my F1s yesterday. I only have one trio of wild caughts left. They were in my main planted display tank. Today I moved the females to a seperate tank to condition them. Will move the male tomorrow to condition him tomorrow.

I was going to shut it all down but I just can't...  ::) Love these little characters to much!

Does anyone out there happen to have any wild caught CPDs besides mine?
Voltaire:

Fishnut

What ever happened to Dr. Ashtray?  Didn't he have some wilds?

dan2x38

Quote from: Fishnut on August 19, 2008, 09:46:09 PM
What ever happened to Dr. Ashtray?  Didn't he have some wilds?

Don't know... he did have some plus a female WC off of me. Toss had some & you I know.
Voltaire:

Toss

I know this is an old post but an interesting one.
Yes, I still have my WC. I started with eleven. I think I still have 8 or 9. I don't move them to breeding tank for two reasons. I don't have one :P and don't wanna stress them out. Mind you they are hard to catch in their current setup.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

dan2x38

I had 20 WC. I sold 1 female to Dr. Ashtray then sold 3 trios leaving me 10. They did great. During a 5 day black-out a couple months ago I lost 7...  :'( Then I conditioned my females after 3 weeks added the male. Five days later one female died I found her the day I was moving them out for the spawn to hatch. I guess the water was off cause I also only got 8 or 9 fry...  :( The fry are almost 2 weeks old and grwoing healthy. Besides the F1 fry now I only 2 WCs left!  :'(
Voltaire: