Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Let's Talk 'Celestial Pearl Danios' or 'Galaxy Rasbora'

Started by dan2x38, July 05, 2007, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

Quote from: dan2x38 on October 14, 2007, 10:48:44 PM
I break up some flake and it sinks faster. To make sure they get some make sure there is some small flake with your regular flake.

That's what I've been doing with the flake. They're usually all together so when it's feeding time I put some really crushed flakes right near them and put the rest of the flake in the other end of the tank for the other fish. They were definitely eating this morning. I did the same thing when I fed the brine shrimp last night.
I often have a piece of zucchini in a clip on the side of the tank as well. I haven't seen them touching that yet.
I also picked up some frozen bloodworm today so I'll try some of that later as well.

They're definitely feeling more at home now. They're often exploring different levels of the aquarium now and they're spreading out much more often.

Quote from: dan2x38 on October 14, 2007, 10:48:44 PM
Your the 1st with my tank breed CPDs. I have not heard from any others locally that have any tank breed? So you are the Ginnie Pig... LOL Keep me/us posted!!! Their success is on both our shoulders now... LOL  ::) tell them to, "Go forth and multiply!" ROTFL ;)

Now I'm really starting to feel the pressure that these guys do well! GULP!....haha.

I'll keep you posted.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

dan2x38

Quote from: Jeff1192 on October 15, 2007, 12:22:22 PM
They're definitely feeling more at home now. They're often exploring different levels of the aquarium now and they're spreading out much more often.

Wow that is great to here. My WC stay near the bottom where the most cover is. It is better anyways so they will spawn. Eventually I won't be actively breeding them then I will get to enjoy them, I'll remove some of the plant cover. I enjoy watching them so much along with all my fish. I'll include my tank breed and maybe some sort of invert or little community fish when we have more locals breeding them... who knows but one thing I know I am to lazy to be a permanate breeder of any kind... LOL
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Jeff1192

Figured I'd give you another update now that it has been a few days. They're definitely feeling more secure in the tank. They have spread out quite a bit and will often be seen exploring alone, or more often in small groups. They spend most of their time in the top 2/3 of the tank (except at night when they still retreat into the bottom of my hygro). Feeding is a major change now. When the food goes in now they join in on the feeding frenzy with the rasboras and guppies. It's pretty funny because 2 of them have become really aggressive at feeding time and just plow right in.

Jeff

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

dan2x38

Quote from: Jeff1192 on October 17, 2007, 02:12:42 PM
Figured I'd give you another update now that it has been a few days. They're definitely feeling more secure in the tank. They have spread out quite a bit and will often be seen exploring alone, or more often in small groups. They spend most of their time in the top 2/3 of the tank (except at night when they still retreat into the bottom of my hygro). Feeding is a major change now. When the food goes in now they join in on the feeding frenzy with the rasboras and guppies. It's pretty funny because 2 of them have become really aggressive at feeding time and just plow right in.

Jeff

The feeding is great news... I bet it is the males plowing forward they can be agressive little buggers... glad to hear that... how is their colouring?
Voltaire:

Jeff1192

Their colouring got much better on day 2 and it seems to me it's even better now. It's a really beautiful little fish.

I'll keep you posted.

Jeff

- George Orwell

Jeff1192

Time for another update for those who are interested.

The CPD's are doing well in their big family. They have spread out quite a bit more and are now commonly seen throughout the tank. They are spending much more time in the lower levels of the tank, after spending much of the early days near the top. They're certainly not skitterish like Dan's wild-caught CPDs. They don't hide at all when we approach the tank. Everyone once in a while a couple of them will still join-up with a school of rasboras and swim with them for a while.

So all in all they're continuing to do quite well.

Jeff

- George Orwell

dan2x38

That's great to hear... :) their full coloured now? In order to see my WC I got to sit a wait... if blink they with draw... so nice to know the tank breed like to stay out to see them since their such little beauties... Thanks for the updates... :)
Voltaire:

Dr. Ashtray

Well, thanks to Dan I now have a nice little colony of CPDs.  They are doing great in a little 12g acrylic I have set up.  I look forward to watching their progress.  I will keep everyone posted if anything nifty happens in the process.  They certainly are very nice looking little fish.  I think the first I have seen with an entire star system(galaxy) in less than an inch of space.  Gotta love it!!

Thanks a lot Dan!!  It was great meeting you today.  You have some great tanks there.  Great insight into the breeding of these little surreal fish.  The switching light set-up is nifty!!  I had never conceptualized that one!  I may have to try it now.  Everyone needs a good nightlight!

Jeffrey...

renadia

Hi Dan,

Do you still have for sale? They are so nice looking. If you do I would be interested in getting a few.

I would like to integrate them in my 75 gal. it's a community tank, would that be compatible match?

Thanks

Diane

dan2x38

Renadia what fish do you have again? What sizes are they? Is it a planted tank? I have 40 more growing out will be ready in 3-4 weeks.

Hey Jeff1192 and Dr. Ashtray keep an eye on your CPDs. I just moved my other batch just over 2 months old into a grow out tank. I changed up my grow out tank to a 10g with bare bottom with a few plastic plants. The ones you guys have were in a 6 gallon. Today I watched what looked like their courting ritual. The male was head down rubbing against what I'm sure looks like a female. I say watch them because they might start playing tag in the java moss. See if they show any spawning behaviours? That would be so KEWL!
Voltaire:

Jeff1192

Actually now that you mention that I have seen 2 rubbing against each other a couple of times now...but it was in open water. I"ll keep an eye on them.  :)

Jeff

- George Orwell

renadia

Quote from: dan2x38 on October 26, 2007, 08:36:58 PM
Renadia what fish do you have again? What sizes are they? Is it a planted tank? I have 40 more growing out will be ready in 3-4 weeks.

This is my 75 gal community family : 1 Koi angel, 2 Opaline gourami 2 Drarf gourami, 2 Pearl gourami, 4 Longfin Serpae Tetra, 6 cardinal Tetra, 7 Rasbora espei, 10 Cherry barb, 2 pleco, 3 Clown loach, 3 cories and 1 catfish.  Do you think that would be a good match?

dan2x38

Quote from: renadia on October 28, 2007, 09:30:12 PM
This is my 75 gal community family : 1 Koi angel, 2 Opaline gourami 2 Drarf gourami, 2 Pearl gourami, 4 Longfin Serpae Tetra, 6 cardinal Tetra, 7 Rasbora espei, 10 Cherry barb, 2 pleco, 3 Clown loach, 3 cories and 1 catfish.  Do you think that would be a good match?

I really couldn't see a problem with those guys. Only fish that might be testy is the angel but the CPDs are fast. But your heavilly stocked. These are little guys with low bio-load but do like clean water. If you do regular fair size WCs could see no problem with 5 or 6.
Voltaire:

renadia

Quote from: dan2x38 on October 28, 2007, 10:19:24 PM
I really couldn't see a problem with those guys. Only fish that might be testy is the angel but the CPDs are fast. But your heavilly stocked. These are little guys with low bio-load but do like clean water. If you do regular fair size WCs could see no problem with 5 or 6.
My water is really good the Nitrate is at about 5 i try to keep it at that level and it's been doing good except for the ick going right now, probably got this with the new gouramies  :(  When they are ready I would like to buy 4 of your little beauties  :)

Thanks

Diane

dan2x38

Quote from: renadia on October 29, 2007, 10:57:49 AM
  My water is really good the Nitrate is at about 5 i try to keep it at that level and it's been doing good except for the ick going right now, probably got this with the new gouramies  :(  When they are ready I would like to buy 4 of your little beauties  :)

Thanks

Diane

OK I will add you to my list. They will be 4-6 weeks to grow out. Still want them?
Voltaire:

renadia

Dr. Ashtray

Dan, just to answer your post from before.  I have noticed spawning behavior.  They are loving the tank.  I had to go purchase some frozen daphnia.  They are loving that but didn't go crazy over anything else except frozen canned peas.  I just take the skin off of one and roll it between my thumb and fore finger for a second.  They are doing little close spins and the sort in the Java moss that covers 3/4 of the bottom of the tank.  Great to watch!!

Jeffrey...

dan2x38

Quote from: Dr. Ashtray on November 01, 2007, 06:14:21 PM
Dan, just to answer your post from before.  I have noticed spawning behavior.  They are loving the tank.  I had to go purchase some frozen daphnia.  They are loving that but didn't go crazy over anything else except frozen canned peas.  I just take the skin off of one and roll it between my thumb and fore finger for a second.  They are doing little close spins and the sort in the Java moss that covers 3/4 of the bottom of the tank.  Great to watch!!

Jeffrey...

Don't spoil them...  ;D They like the daphina but I had them weened on crushed flake for 3 weeks or more... maybe mix the 2... watch for any fry after about 2 weeks... still a bit young though...
Voltaire:

Dr. Ashtray

I jut took some shots of two of my Celestial Pearl Danio Breeding tanks.  They happen to be Vintage metal framed aquariums manufactured by Metaframe probably half a century ago.  They don't make them like that anymore!  Wish they did!  Maybe I will!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drashtray/2085237205/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drashtray/2086021342/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drashtray/2085236687/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drashtray/2085236421/

Cheers!

Jeffrey...

dan2x38

Hey Doc nice set-ups! That lighting is overkill for those little characters. Maybe I should take it off your hands? LOL Keep the water clean, not to warm, figure how to recover the eggs you will have lots of babies... :) Nice stand too...

I already have 4 tanks dedicated to them plus a fry net... that is only my wild caught and their fry. I have 2 sources who want to swap fry from different lineage... that will me at least 2 more tanks...  :D I have enough tanks sitting around not sure I will have any sanity left or a wife if I set them up... LOL  :o So 2 tanks good luck... ;D

But my job is not done yet... LOL When we have a nice supply of tank breed CPDs locally or at least enough of us breeding them then I will need another crusade... :) It sounds like you Doc, Fishnut, & Bearmassu are going to fully equiped to handle their breeding... my set-up is small only about 30-40 every 2-3 months...

Way to go guys... can't wait to see pics of Fishnut's new set-up! :)
Voltaire: