Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

BG alge and blackout

Started by normc, July 05, 2007, 07:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

normc

I've cleaned out all the alge I could and did 2 large water changes. How long do I blackout the tank ??? ???

dan2x38

Hey Norm try this OVAS link: http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=5  Blackout- Free Algae Killer by: BiggyDaddy
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

normc

Thanks that answered all my questions :)

Shrimpy

How bad is your BG algae outbreak? I tried the blackout and it didn't work for me. I even tried it twice. I finally resorted to erythromycin tablets. You can get them at Big Als. That finished off the BG algae for good. It has never come back. :)

dan2x38

BigDaddy, charlie, and someone else name slips my mind... they were explaining to me about the balance of light, CO2, and ferts... if they are out of balance then the algae will use it taking over... check it out with one of them... BigDaddy gave me a list of what nutrient is out of balance by what algae appears... I made the mistake of using some chemical algae killer and I think it killed a gaurmai...  :'(
Voltaire:

Shrimpy

BG algae is not really an algae, but a bacteria. Erythromycin is in the penicillan family and kills it. Try the blackouts though first, but if it keeps coming back then use the meds!  ;) It never hurt any of my fish or shrimp.

dan2x38

check the Super Pets they have UV Sterlizers on for 50% off or more they will kill it... replacment blubs on sale too... can get 1 for around $50...
Voltaire:

charlie

Quote from: dan2x38 on July 05, 2007, 11:18:48 PM
BigDaddy, charlie, and someone else name slips my mind... they were explaining to me about the balance of light, CO2, and ferts... if they are out of balance then the algae will use it taking over... check it out with one of them... BigDaddy gave me a list of what nutrient is out of balance by what algae appears... I made the mistake of using some chemical algae killer and I think it killed a gaurmai...  :'(
I think what BD & myself were referring to is BBA algae , hair algae etc.
Quote from: Shrimpy on July 05, 2007, 11:29:14 PM
BG algae is not really an algae, but a bacteria. Erythromycin is in the penicillan family and kills it. Try the blackouts though first, but if it keeps coming back then use the meds!  ;) It never hurt any of my fish or shrimp.
That is correct , it is called cyanobacteria, if you do a search on this site you will some extensive info & experiences on it, like shrimpey said sometimes EM tablets is the only answer, but use this as a last resort, they are ( or was) on clearance @ superpet .
Regards

dan2x38

Quote from: Shrimpy on July 05, 2007, 11:29:14 PM
Erythromycin is in the penicillan family and kills it.

Can that stuff hurt the bio-filter?
Voltaire:

Shrimpy

Some say yes, some say no. I never had any ill effects when I did it. I did it on 2 tanks too, a 10g and a 38g. If you use it, just keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels. :)

normc

Blackout is finished, does the tank ever look clean ;D  I just did a 50% water change and gave the fish a little food. keeping my fingers x.