Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Seaclone Protein Skimmer Owners, read this.

Started by speckledmind, July 05, 2007, 08:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speckledmind

Hi Everyone,

I though of sharing this SeaClone Tid-Bit with you : )

I have had some problems for the last few days with my Seaclone 150 protein skimmer, spilling tons of micro bubbles into my tank after my scheduled water change, while searched for a solution, one came fast enough once I read the manual in PDF format on the Marineland site.

Follow this link for the download.
http://www.marineland.com/products/.../con_sclone.asp

I quote :
" If SeaClone is spilling large amounts of fine bubbles into tank and / or Collection Cup is filling with water ... "

This condition can occur when a " slime producing " additive e.g. NOVAQUA STRESS COAT, has been recently added to the water.
Often used for their dechlorination or ammonia neutralizing capabilities, these additives contain thick gel-like agent that can cause excess foaming.

Close air intake system for at least one day ( some brands require as much as 3 weeks ), depending on amount used ), the slime producing agent will eventually break down and skimming action will return to normal.
NOTE : Protein skimmers remove organic compounds dissolved in water, any organic base additive, particularly those that claim to thicken a fish's slime coating, may affect skimmer and production for a brief period.

Hope you guys read this, be aware of this issue if you are faced with the same problem as I have had.
BTW, I use AquaPlus from Nutrafin, and my skimmer is starting back again this evening after 2 full days of acting strange.

Cheers,
Denis

sniggir

too cool that explains alot.. good resurch!!
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

porcupinepuffer

Good bit of information for those who don't even have those skimmers, or any skimmer for that matter :)

yellowtang

My 50g tank is skimmerless......
It has for the last 4 months,Not 'Cause I can't afford one
But 'cause I find H.O.T (hang on back) tend to make tons of
Microbubbles and have some of the problems Specklemind said.
20% weekly water changes seems to be working for me.
cheers.
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

speckledmind

Please note, that all skimmers are affected by dechlorination agents such as AquaPlus, that contain that " thick gel-like agent ".

I need to find that a dechorinating product that does not affect my skimmer.

Caution
Closing the skimmer for a day or longer is not a good recommended, a reef tank depends greatly on the high oxygen content in the water that is created by the skimmer, if you do close your skimmer, make sure to add some air stones connected to a air pump into the tank, to add that needed high oxygen content in the water.

Some good news  :)
My skimmer is now back on track, and I have no bubbles in my tank : )
So from this odd experience, I now know that it takes me a full 2 days before things get back to normal, when I do my water change.

Some more good news   :)
I'm in the process of building a retrofit / bubble trap, that will hang in front of the output area, for all HBO skimmer, I will keep you posted on this one  ;)

Cheers,
Denis

Severum

I would greatly like to see this bubble trap your are creating as my final solution for microbubbles is to have the skimmer running while I am asleep and at work.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Alchemist

The $29 HOB skimmer that Shrimpy and I have also has a mechanical and carbon filter on the outflow from the skimmer which traps microbubbles!! :)

Any surfactant added to the tank will mess with any skimmer operation. The worst thing is soap traces so make sure your hands are clean and rinsed.

The soap hinders formation of the bubbles in the foam chamber but so will many other products.  The Seachem Prime I use doesn't seem to hinder the skimmer operation.

speckledmind

Quote from: Alchemist on July 07, 2007, 05:37:49 PM
The $29 HOB skimmer that Shrimpy and I have also has a mechanical and carbon filter on the outflow from the skimmer which traps microbubbles!! :)

Any surfactant added to the tank will mess with any skimmer operation. The worst thing is soap traces so make sure your hands are clean and rinsed.

The soap hinders formation of the bubbles in the foam chamber but so will many other products.  The Seachem Prime I use doesn't seem to hinder the skimmer operation.

What " $29 HOB skimmer " are you using ?
Is it the Skilter skimmer filter combo ?

I am lining up a bottle of Prime for my dechlorination, it seems to be the only product not affecting the skimmer operation.

I have made a prototype bubble trap and testing it as I write this, I will get back to you with the results.

Alchemist

Nope...it's this one.....very happy with it...it's rated for aquariums up to 20g mine is a 25g but I don't have a lot in there in the way of fish.

http://oceanaquatics.com/store/category/12/359/Taam-Inc.-/

Needle Wheel
Simple Installation and Design
Adjustable Variable Venturi with Exclustive Air/Water Mixing Chamber
Filter Cartridge with Activated Carbon
Ozone Compatible
Water Level Control
110 Gallons per Hour Pump
For Aquariums upto 20 Gallons

7.25"L x 4.5"W x 10.25"H

speckledmind

WoW.
Nice find.
How long as it been running on your 25g ?
How much skimming does it produce, meaning, does it pull out the gunk ?

I researched a lot of skimmers for my poor man's reef tank, and there is a way to do it  ;)
More to follow.

BigDaddy

From all the different reading I have done on HOT skimmers, microbubbles are a fact of life.  It is just that some skimmers are better at keeping them to a minimum.

In regards to your original findings speckledmind, why not just use Chloram-X?

speckledmind

Thanks BigD,

I have not yet looked into Chloram-X, but Prime seems to be the way to go.
I will test out both, and write the details and findings in the next months.

Alchemist

Skimmer has been working for about 3 months I think and yes it does pull the gunk out.  Thanks to Shrimpy for the find.  I get a nice cup full of dark green liquid every week.  Takes a while to tune it but then so does every skimmer I think.  There is a small mod to make to keep the noise down on it but it's simple.  Also....at this price I think if you have the room there's a case for using two of these on a larger tank!  I was going to add your surface skimmer attachment to it to see what difference it makes.

For $29 it's actually amazing value.  If you want pics let me know and I'll PM them but I think Shrimpy put some on a thread about this skimmer a while ago.