Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Eating your cichlids.

Started by bitterman, July 06, 2007, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

Quote from: dan2x38 on July 06, 2007, 09:18:12 AM
what's that something you eat.... no, no just kiddin'  ;D

Actually the natives use frontosa as a primary meat source in the area or lake Tang. Some frontosa have been reported to be 18-24" long when fully grown.

Bruce

darkdep

I'd believe that.  Fronts can get quite big.  And really, if they're not pretty, you might as well eat em.

bitterman

Quote from: DarkDep on July 06, 2007, 01:13:49 PM
I'd believe that.  Fronts can get quite big.  And really, if they're not pretty, you might as well eat em.

So when are you planing to eat your Burundi's Chris?  ;)

darkdep

Are you saying my Burundi's aren't pretty?

bitterman

Quote from: DarkDep on July 06, 2007, 02:10:55 PM
Are you saying my Burundi's aren't pretty?

Not at all, I have a soft part in my heart for all Frontosa and Gibberosa. You did said "Might as well eat em."

Almost sounds like you were contemplating eating them ;)

I actually want to get another burundi / Sp. North group again in the future when I have the $ and Tank space.

I sure do love the look and personality of my Mpimbwe Gibberosa though! But the big humps the Burundi get is just plain awesome!!!

darkdep

I meant, if you end up with an ugly fish, you might as well eat them.  At least you get something out of raising them.

Oscars come to mind.  They're big, grow fast, and are ugly as hell.

bitterman

Quote from: DarkDep on July 06, 2007, 02:58:39 PM
I meant, if you end up with an ugly fish, you might as well eat them.  At least you get something out of raising them.

LOL I think some people like busdriver might take offense to that LMAO!

Bruce

Saltcreep

Quote from: bitterman on July 06, 2007, 03:21:44 PM
LOL I think some people like busdriver might take offense to that LMAO!

Bruce

Me too! I think Oscars are great.

darkdep

I didn't say they weren't great fish, I said they were ugly.  :)

freshwater

hahaha

Don't Oscars get cheaper as they grew bigger ($/pound)?

bitterman

Quote from: freshwater on July 25, 2007, 02:11:10 PM
hahaha

Don't Oscars get cheaper as they grew bigger ($/pound)?

They might be cheaper per LBS, but what about all the food costs you paid to get them that big?

Anyways is it crazy to think someone would eat there aquarium fish first of all the NLS I feed states not for fish to be consumed by humans in some of the literature I read.

Also Fronts are so slow growing..... it would be alot of time to grown them out!

Bruce

Raygurl

Wow lol This was the last topic i think i could have ever imagined on a fish lovers forum lol ;D But it was the best lol! You guys(and girls) are too funny! My fish are all too tiny! lol ;D

babblefish1960

Your fish are never too tiny, like caviar, it just takes more of them to make a good sandwich! ;)

Raygurl

I could make a carinal sandwich with an accsent harliquin rasbora salad right lol! ;D ;D

artw

Rhampochromis somethingorother was quite good, and I think we had something else too I'll have to ask Jody tonight. maybe Fossorochromis. 
I have pictures of the locals spreading out all kinds of shiny blue cichlids on drying racks.  You Malawi cichlid lovers would cry to see that, hehe

busdriver

Quote from: DarkDep on July 06, 2007, 02:58:39 PM

I don't mean to get too personal here, but have you looked in the mirror recently? >:( >:( ;) ;) :)
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

darkdep

I'm sure an Oscar would consider me quite ugly.  But as I'm not trying to pick up Mrs. Oscar, I'm ok with that.

bitterman

darkdep

I'm so going to raise an oscar just to eat it now.

babblefish1960

Depending of course what you feed the poor cute little oscars, they actually tend to taste a little muddy. You do not want to know why I know that! ;)