Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Spare time? Want to make some kids smile?

Started by merrywoodchef, July 07, 2007, 08:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merrywoodchef

I am chef at Camp Merrywood an Easter Seals Camp for children with disabilties.  I know the joy fish can bring to young children as I had an aquarium when I was young. I am hoping to find someone who could offer to set up a large display of some kind in my diningroom for all the very special kids to gaze upon for the summer.

I am open for suggestions, perhaps a wishing pond would work.....

Anyone want to trade some swet for some sweet smiles from some amazing kids, let me know .... its priceless....

email me at

Thanks

Kevin Allen

dan2x38

Don't have any spare tanks. If someone is setting up a tank FW would be willing to buy a few fish to put in there. Maybe some others could buy a few or donate some fish from their tanks? That is if someone could loan out a tank? Bet it would be easy to find some spare parts for loaners too...  :) Be great make some future aquarist and OVAS to contribute. Maybe could even use a little of OVAS funds?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

squeeker

I would really like to help out with this.  My younger brother has physical/mental disabilities, and has attended Easter Seals summer camps for years (though never this specific one).  Easter Seals has been a huge help to my family, and the camps have alwasy been especially important to my brother's independence. 

I have no tank to donate, and I don't have the funds to purchase something to donate myself.  However, I would be more than happy to donate my time to do tank maintenance at the camp, and I also have some decor/small filters/supplies that I could donate.

If anyone has a tank setup to donate, that would be swell!  If not, would OVAS help fund something like this?  Would anyone else be willing to donate a few dollars to this?  I wouldn't mind managing this project...

I was thinking a decently sized tank and stocking it with something large, hardy, active, and colorful.  Goldfish would work, and so would african cichlids. 

If anyone has input, please share!

fishycanuck

I have a 10 gallon with all the trimmings that I would provide for an "extended loan" for the summer.

Toss

I have koi angel and swordtail to donate, and some plants of course :)
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

Fishnut

I think this is a great project for OVAS!!  I think the best way to handle it is to pledge a few dollars each (perhaps on a new thread here), then when we have enough to have a set-up (I think 50 gallons and up would be perfect) and supplies for a few months we can vote on what fish to put in it, then take fish donations.  From there, we should divide up the maintenance schedule between whoever volunteers.  Any suggestions from OVAS executives on how to proceed?

babblefish1960

Other than the pending OVAS barbeque coming this month, and possibly petfest, the OVAS Executive is on summer hiatus, there is no time to put together something such as this, so this would not be an OVAS event.
If individuals are interested in getting together to help this camp as a private project, then by all means, get involved, but it is as an individual, and in no way am I suggesting that we at OVAS endorse this request, I am merely pointing out that this will be a private individuals reponse rather than a club sanctioned response. 
Like all things on the internet, I would encourage those interested to check this all out before committing.  If everything proves on the up and up, then it sounds like a great idea, especially if the condition of the fish is going to be monitored. You might want to consider the location of the camp when considering your level of involvement.

Melody

Information, including contact information, for the camp in question can be found here.

dan2x38

Quote from: squeeker on July 07, 2007, 01:09:19 PM
If anyone has a tank setup to donate, that would be swell!  If not, would OVAS help fund something like this?  Would anyone else be willing to donate a few dollars to this?  I wouldn't mind managing this project...

If you are welling to check into what can be scared up by donations. Check the SPs in town some cheap tank set-ups. Someone suggested a sepearte thread.
Voltaire:

babblefish1960

Quote from: merrywoodchef on July 07, 2007, 08:58:58 AM
I am open for suggestions.....let me know ....email me at 

Thanks

Kevin Allen
This is the thread merrywoodchef started, this thread is where this discussion should stay. If you want to help this fellow out, he also has an email for personal contact.

merrywoodchef

Wow,
What a Great Bunch of people here !  Thanks so much for the gathering of thoughts....You just can't put a price on the smiles and joy you will see on these kids faces.   

Just let me know what I can do to help get this project going... Remember, the only stumbling block here is the end of camp is September 2, so it would have to be dismantled by then.  So keep the well being of your fish in mind. 

Anyone helping is welcome to stop in for breakfast, lunch or dinner on me !!! anytime during the summer.... I'm sure the kids would love to hear any "fish Talk " you may have as well

I really hope you guys and pull this together !!!..... Talked with Barb the Camp Director and she is all for it !

my email is

squeeker

It looks like there is some interest!  Fantastic!

We need to decide how to proceed.  If the tank must be dismantled by Sept 2, perhaps buying a complete setup is out of the question, as it would have to go somewhere then.  It's already July 8...

Thanks, FishyCanuck, for the 10g donation!  And to Toss for the fish donation!  We could probably make a tank of that size work with the swordtails.  I assume, FishyCanuck, that the tank in question comes with heater/hood/lights/gravel/filter?  Does it have a stand?  I'm sure we'd have no problem scaring up plants.  We'd also need a bit of food, water conditioner, an other small misc. supplies.

However, I was thinking something a bit bigger.  Does anyone else have a larger tank that they'd be willing to loan out for the summer?  Or does anyone else have any ideas? 

Thanks!

Trish

sweetness85

if anyone decides to make this a cichlid tank let me know.  i have a few labs and maybe some other cichlids i could donate.  about 2-4" long.  i wish this was in about 6 months time because i will be donating my 110g.  maybe next year?  but this would be a permanent thing.  anyways let me know!!!  and good luck!!!

dan2x38

I could put up a 5.5 gal with all the parts no stand but can sit anywhere that can hold 50lbs. I would buy a betta fish for it and throw in some jave fern. Let me know... I could also give some complete flake food.
Voltaire: